Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix | Teen Ink

Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix

March 17, 2010
By KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
KonyaB!!! GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
14 articles 0 photos 99 comments

I want you to close your eyes and imagine this. You are a shriveled up, wrinkly, old woman, a hundred years old. Yeah, yeah, I know, “What in the world is up with this person?” But trust me, it gets even worse. Imagine that your family doesn't want you anymore, because you are a burden. Hence, they send you off to a nursery home, promising you that they'll come and visit and call and check on you….but what do you know? Zip, zing zero. You never find out how your daughter's great granddaughter's baby is doing, if your son's grandson's cancer is healing, and so on and so forth. Nobody cares if you care about them. And why would they?
You're going to die any time now.
So you are waiting to die, and be carried off by angels from this polluted, icky planet into the stars and skies of the heavens. (I overdid it a bit haven't I? Anyway….carrying on…)
THEN. Then, one day you squint your damaged eyes which had seen all that had to be seen “back in those days” and there are these men in white coats are sitting on your small bed smiling at you, and they ask you, “Mrs. Hazelwood, how would you like to become YOUNGER?” And you croak, “Heck yeah!” and they inject you something called PT-1 and BAM.
Welcome to Project Turnabout, my friends.
As Amelia Hazelwood and Anny Beth rejuvenate, their stories of the past are revealed every other chapter switching from the past. 2000, to the “present,” 2085. The minute both characters hit their teens, that question arises….
What's going to happen when they hit zero?
This futuristic, science fiction novel by Margaret Peterson Haddix has readers captivated into a rather different situation, where the struggle to answer that one question leads to new secrets, surprises, and a long going "race against humanity for the price of their lives."
How here's my question for YOU. Is it really worth doing something that goes in opposition to the most humane and natural element of life?
Ooh, that's a tough one. I've got a little tip…
Check out Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix and find out.