The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini MAG

March 28, 2010
By JaclynMiller BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
JaclynMiller BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't let failure go to your heart, and don't let success go to your head."


The Kite Runner, the New York Times bestseller, gracefully and effortlessly ­exceeds all expectations of a great novel. It is a story that is virtually impossible to put down and never fails to leave the reader craving more. Never before has a novel been so frighteningly representative of a country's condition and lifestyle. Hosseini flawlessly exposes readers to the hardships of Afghan­istan through many perfectly crafted elements, including an intricate plotline and several universal themes. The Kite Runner is a brilliant literary work that is bound to be an endearing classic.

In order to give a realistic perspective on life in Afghan­istan, Hosseini uses a young boy growing up in Kabul during the invasion of Russian forces. Through Amir, readers see life in Afghan­istan directly affecting his maturity and view of the world. They learn how he combats struggles in his own life: a querulous father, a mother who died in childbirth, and society's condescending view of his friendship with his servant boy. With each struggle, Amir makes decisions that will impact his life forever.

Hosseini creates a highly unique story that keeps the reader intrigued from beginning to rapidly-reached end. It is complete with several twists and turns, constantly leaving the reader shocked; there is not a single dull moment in this riveting novel. Amir's actions create a domino effect, ultimately altering the world he once knew, and Hosseini brilliantly interweaves each event into one powerful and unforgettable message, bound to have a life-changing impact on all readers.

The Kite Runner contains countless themes that trigger much reflection for its readers: discrimination, guilt, and most importantly, forgiveness. Discrimination remains an ongoing issue in Afghanistan.

The Kite Runner is an outstanding novel certain to be read for years to come. Rich in drama, violence, romance, and friendship, it is capable of reaching its audience on both an emotional and spiritual level. It is a deeply poignant story that has the ability to genuinely touch its readers and find a permanent place in their hearts.