The Lovely Bones | Teen Ink

The Lovely Bones

By Josi.K BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
Josi.K BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

A friend recommended this book to me after realizing we had and over-lapping taste in books. When I fist heard the title wasn't sure what to expect, but trusting my friend's taste in books, I was eager to read it.

The Lovely Bones is about a girl who was murdered. Susie is the main character and as she watches over the people she was fiends with, or her family, Susie narrates their lives. At first she follows her murderer but after a while she realizes watching her family is more important to her and watching her murderer won't change anything.

Alice Sebold has a very unique way of writing. You can imagine what most every scene looks like or feels like to the characters. Like when she describes Susie's heaven you not only get an image of what her heaven looks like, you start to relate to the character and think about what your own heaven would look like.

I highly recommend The Lovely Bones for anyone who likes realistic fiction with a twist. Also, if you've ever thought about or are interested in death and heaven, this book leaves you with something to think about.