A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway | Teen Ink

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

By koolaid-dragonwarrior GOLD, Los Angeles, California
koolaid-dragonwarrior GOLD, Los Angeles, California

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils"
- Louis Hector Berlioz

A Farewell to Arms, a novel written by Ernest Hemingway, is a classic semi-autobiographical work which describes the Italian campaigns during World War I from the perspective of an American soldier named Frederic Henry, who served as an ambulance driver for the Italian Army during the war. Frederic Henry, simply referred to as “Tenente” (Lieutenant), was disgusted by the brutal decimation that the war brought upon the countryside, so he sought refuge from the talk of the war by engaging himself in a seductive game with an British nurse named Catherine Barkley. Catherine, who was mourning the death of her fiancé, also wished to distract herself from her sad surroundings by trying to seduce Henry. Soon, however, their love turns real, and they try everything in their power to escape the devastation of the war by fleeing to another country.

A Farewell to Arms is a very entertaining book because it contains variety. Although most of the book portrays Henry’s romantic experiences with Catherine, it also includes intense battle scenes, occasional jokes, and amusing dialogue between Henry and his comrades.

I recommend this book to all the teens out there that enjoy reading, although they may be slightly offended by the drug/sexual references which are made throughout the book.