A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer | Teen Ink

A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer

March 6, 2008
By Anonymous

Close your eyes. Go back to your childhood, around when you were 6 or 7. Imagine if your own loving mother, was slowly changed by alcohol, and slowly turns against you. She turns you out, making you sleep in the garage. She makes you do countless chores, and refuses you food I you don't finish on time. She beats you, tells you she hates you and wants you to die, and puts you through horrible torture, including swallowing spoonfuls of cleaning liquid, lying face down in ice water for hours, sitting in a gas chamber, and squatting outside in the cold air in a P.O.W. position, while the rest of your family is inside, enjoying a nice, home cooked dinner. How would you feel? Would you hold on to life? Or would you go dead inside, abandoning all hope surviving?

All this is exactly what happened to David Pelzer, in the book, A Child Called “It”: one child's courage to survive, by none other than Dave Pelzer. This story is actually an autobiography of Dave's childhood, and all the events are what really happened. The way the author writes, it brings you into the story. You can feel the terror that David feels, and the pain he receives from his beatings and tortures. And you can feel the hatred he has for his mother, and for his father, because they both abandoned him. But still the story keeps you on your toes, because you can never quite tell what is going to happen next.

This book is absolutely amazing, and I'd give it a 10 out of 10. The details are clear, the images are vivid, and even though it will probably be the most horrific book you ever read, you will remember it's lessons throughout your life. It teaches you about hope, and perseverance, and that there is always someone there for you, no matter your situation.

I would recommend this book to anyone, and for two reasons. One, because it is such and incredibly awesome book, and two, because of the message it spreads. Child abuse is a huge matter, and everyone needs to know about it.