A Girl Like Moi by Lisa Barham | Teen Ink

A Girl Like Moi by Lisa Barham

The first thing that pops into my mind when I hear fashion is the good life. That's probably what Imogene thought before her dreams of living what we call “the good life” came true. Imogene goes through some hard times her first year in the fashion industry, but it all gets easier. Will it be so much easier it will be considered “the good life”? A Girl Like Moi, the fashion forward novel by Lisa Barham, will show you how hard it can be living in a world full of fashion.

In this fashion forward novel, you will follow Imogene through her challenging and problem prone stage in life. She goes from just a regular girl from Greenwich, Connecticut, to a money making star! With problems from an intern and her missing cell phone, Imogene finds a way and realizes what she really wants. Her dream job ends up being like a whirly twirly roller coaster. But like most things in life, it was worth it. Follow Imogene on her wild and exciting adventure in a fashion forward world.

Imogene, a fashion forward girl, is living in a fashion forward world on a fashion forward adventure. Unlike most 16 year olds, Imogene gets a high paying job as a fashion forecaster. There is a reason why Imogene is getting a job so young. It's because she maxed out her AmEx card. She thought, why not do something I enjoy. Now she's doing something she enjoys, just not with someone she enjoys. Brooke, an evil intern, steals her boyfriend. Paolo, Imogene's ex and Brooke's former, steals Imogene's cell phone. So it seems that Evie, Imogene's truest and bluest friend, is the only one that will give her a break. With all the problems going on, Imogene questions what she really wants and learns that even in fashion, being true to yourself and following your dreams can go hand in hand.

I think A Girl Like Moi should be called Girls Like Nous. Why you may ask? Well, quite simply because she wrote this story about me. Clearly! If not that, then I must be her long lost twin. We're so alike! Both of us are obsessed with fashion. We live fashion, think fashion, and breathe fashion. If I was 16 and in the same situation as Imogene, I probably would've chosen the same job. It's kind of creepy. Before I even picked this book up I decided that I wanted to be a fashion forecaster.

I don't want to give away the whole story, but I just have to tell you my favorite part. Imogene gets fired and, with no other choice, heads for home. While there, she finds out what she really wants, who she really loves, and gets closer to her mom, however, she's not sure how she can do what she wants if she was fired. Like always, Imogene finds a way. In this tear jerking part of the book, you will find the theme and learn some interesting facts about Imogene.

In the end, this book will show you that even in fashion, you should be true and follow your dreams. Follow Imogene and find out how bad she wanted the job. You may or may not be surprised by the ending. Once you finish this book, you should consider reading Project Paris. It's the sequel to this book. And it's packed with tons more Imogenious adventures.