The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger | Teen Ink

The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

April 20, 2008
By Anonymous

The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger is about a troubled young teenager named Holden Caulfied. There are many different types of characters in this story and Holden classifies mostly all of them as phonies. Holden faces a problem he has just gotten himself kicked out of his third boarding school and is too afraid to go home. So he has an idea he decides to just wait it out and let his parents get over yet another incident that he has caused so he decides to stay in a hotel in New York. His perfect idea does not seem to be so perfect anymore because as he has left all the phonies from his school he now realizes he is surrounded by phonies all over New York.


Salinger took making books more realistic to a new level. Seeing how Holden is a misguided teenager he talks and acts in that same way. There are a lot of strong language and adult events, but those help build his character and make him even more troubled. The thing that Holden hates the most out of everything is phonies. Which is horrible seeing as everywhere he goes he is surrounded by phonies. There is, but only one kid that Holden actually liked and could be with for a long time and not want to kill himself and that is his little sister Phoebe. She always has something interesting and/or intellectual to say unlike the other kids her age. The tragic death of Holden's late brother Allie made Holden's life spiral downward seeing as after this happened he just stopped caring about a lot of things and became what most people would describe as a troubled young boy who does things that no one should do.


This was one of the most interesting and well written books I have ever read. Normally I get bored having to read because to be honest most writers are phonies and their writing just makes me want to gag, but J. D. Salinger did an amazing job writing this book. He kept his character Holden real and alive by always having something interesting happen at the end of ever page leaving your eyes glued to the pages. If you like books that are actually interesting and the characters seem almost too real then read The Catcher In The Rye by J. D. Salinger you will truly thank me for it.