Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

By WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York
WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York

"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

Walking the halls of high school has proven to be challenging. Miniscule steps can feel like miles when surrounded in unfavorable circumstances, so sometimes it is comforting to escape to literature for compassion in the complexity. Thankfully there are books that provide such assurance.

Laurie Halse Anderson is the cherished author of the typical classroom read Speak. Like Speak, Twisted profoundly illustrates the mind of a social outcast. High school senior Tyler Miller has accrued some new attention after completing community service for costly vandalizing his school. The boy who used to be transparent in the eyes of his classmates becomes integrated with his peers alongside a rebel’s reputation. The reputation scores the notice of Bethany Milbury, Tyler’s crush and father’s boss’ fashionable daughter.
Tyler’s new existence is far from flawless. With new expectations and temptations he is forced to distinguish right from wrong in a haze of grey and unfamiliarity. The uncertain lifestyle accompanied by past happenings with current family tension mold the story to an explosive climax of conscience. Anderson surrounds Tyler with animated characters in a setting that is recognizable to any adolescent. She successfully touches on relevant topics such as unemployment, suicide, and abuse. Readers are certain to find the book a satisfying glimpse at a twisted life reasonably uncomplicate itself.

I have always enjoyed Anderson’s novels, and I especially appreciate how she weaves literary elements into her storytelling without it being obvious.