The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho | Teen Ink

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

By Trixie.B.Rose GOLD, Boulder, Colorado
Trixie.B.Rose GOLD, Boulder, Colorado

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher

Life is like a deck of cards, the hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is your choice.
Choices are the hinges of destiny.
You can choose to go through the door to your destiny, or not.
And those doors we open and close each day, decide the lives we live.
Yet, is there a predetermined door, an inevitable course of events we must take?
And once you open that door, and find that path can you stay the course?
It seems that hardest thing we must learn on our path, are which bridges to cross.
And which we must burn and leave behind, to find our destiny.
And destiny can come true, if you have the courage to pursue it.
Yet many believe, that is impossible, due to a “mysterious force.”
Is there a “mysterious force” that convinces us that it is impossible to follow our destinies?
Paulo Coelho answers these questions about destiny in his book The Alchemist.
He describes the mysterious force through his character the wise King of Salem, It’s a force that appears to be negative, but actually shows you how to realize your destiny.
It prepares your spirit and your will, because there is one great truth on this planet.
Whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something it’s because that desire was originated in the soul of the universe.
It’s your mission of earth.
The story is told from the insightful perspective of a young man, named Santiago.
An Andalusian shepherd.
Who yearns to travel in search of worldly treasure?
It is a spiritual journey that takes him in search of his destiny.
Santiago’s character is witty and full of questions, in the beginning of the story he is a young shepherd from a small village who doesn’t even know what destiny is.
However, as the story progresses he transforms into a young traveled man who is coming to discover what it means to find the truth of the universe.
The progress of The Alchemist is always at a steady pace from his home in Spain.
To the busy markets of Tangiers.
And across the Egyptian desert.
This book made me reflect on what is the meaning of life.
Can we all find our mission on earth?
In addition, more importantly can we keep on the path to our destinies?
Santiago struggles with these very same questions throughout the book.
I feel these questions can be answered best through the voice of the wise king of Salem, who helps Santiago discover his mission on earth.
“The world’s greatest lie.”
It’s this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.
I believe what King Salem was telling Santiago, was that it is never too late to follow your destiny and it is only you who is holding yourself from following your dreams.
The Alchemist is a great book that embodies the themes of following your dreams.
Listen to your heart.
Not giving up and most importantly coming in terms with life and the choices you must make to grow up.
Santiago has a hard time making the choices that keep him on his path to his destiny, during his visit in to an Oasis; he meets his true love Fatima.
At the oasis, he has a fateful encounter with the Alchemist.
Who reminds him that he must stay on his path to following his destiny.
But with this Santiago would have to leave Fatima to continue his journey to his destiny. Will he overcome the biggest challenge of them all trusting your heart?
This book for me was an eye opener on how I look at the world, it really shows you how all things are connected and intertwined.
I loved how Paulo Coelho shows Santiago’s growth and struggle to follow his destiny, and how you seem to grow with him on his journey.
I really connected with the book when Santiago is confronted with the problem of turning into the wind, he believes that he can’t do it, but he keeps trying and asks for help.
First from the desert.
The wind.
The Sun.
And the Soul of the universe.
I feel like I do the same thing, when I struggle with a problem I keep at it, and if all else fails I ask for help.
I would recommend this book to anyone who asks questions about why we are here and what is our purpose on earth?
Those who need help finding their place in the world.
Moreover, anyone who love adventure, with a little love.
The Alchemist is a short book, but not a quick read; I would not recommend it to anyone who wants a fast read.
The Alchemist is the kind of book that stays with you forever, simmering in your mind and the more you think about it the better it gets.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the world we live in.
No matter what he does, every person on the earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.
What will your role be?