13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher MAG

September 12, 2012
By Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia
Kestrel PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia
29 articles 11 photos 189 comments

Favorite Quote:
-There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy. (Shakespeare, Hamlet)


It's not often that you read a book and find yourself unbearably attached to a character who's already dead. However, through the unique telling of her story, I couldn't help but become attached to Hannah Baker. Her story is told by herself, or rather her voice, through cassette tapes that Clay Jensen finds on his porch. Thirteen cassettes, thirteen reasons. Reasons for what? Reasons for why Hannah ultimately ended her life. And behind each of those ­reasons is a person who receives one of the tapes.

This book is incredible. As I followed Clay around town, reliving each of the experiences that brought Hannah closer to her decision, I found myself holding my breath, tearing up, and curled up in gloomy anticipation. Yes, we all know the ending; she dies. However, there is a quick twist at the end. And we learn a great deal about Clay and his futile crush on Hannah. Also, since he received the tapes, was he also a reason for her suicide? This book is sad, yes, but very well written. There is actually a bit of a happy ending, in a way, though I won't spoil it. You'll have to read it yourself.

After finishing 13 Reasons Why, I found myself looking at those around me, wondering what they wonder about, thinking about who might have hurt them, physically or emotionally, and where they plan on going in life. This is a book that humbles the reader, and makes you think carefully about what you say next, as well as who you see next.


The author's comments:
I read this book awhile ago, forced my friends to read it, and then decided to share the tears and Oh-God-I-loved-it's with others as well. Enjoy.