Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal | Teen Ink

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different by Karen Blumenthal

By Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin
Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

When I first heard that Steve Jobs had died, I was left wondering who he was. I know, I know, but cut me some slack. I was like thirteen. However, now that I’ve read Karen Blumenthal’s Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different, I’m sure I’m totally up to speed (except for the Ashton Kutcher movie of course).

Ms. Blumenthal’s book takes you on the wild rollercoaster ride that was Steve Jobs’ life. From his birth and subsequent adoption, to his hippie hey-days, to the founding of Apple, to his expulsion from it, to his rebounding triumphs as CEO of Apple, and finally his death.

I’m sure you know the story of Jobs. How he founded Apple Computers, Inc., and within years was one of the richest people in the world. Some of you may even be using one of his computers or other devices right now. But this book tells it all, and says it upfront. No bashfulness. No beating around the bush. Just cold hard facts.

Of course, Ms. Blumenthal does not convey this story unemotionally. Quite the opposite. You get to see Jobs as a best friend would’ve seen him. All of his stunning brilliance. All of his pent up anger. Even some of that chip on the shoulder attitude that many claimed came from his not knowing where he really came from. You get Steve Jobs in full.

Blumenthal also does not complicate things. In fact, she follows a model set down by Jobs himself whilst giving a commencement speech. Three stories are told. As simple as that. Three and only three, and in those three, Steve Jobs life is revealed.

I would highly recommend that you read Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different, by Karen Blumenthal. Whether you’re looking for some source to research a paper, an interesting piece to test your knowledge about computers and the culture of multiple decades, or maybe just a bit of light reading, this one is for you.

I rate this book 4/5 stars.

I read this book for my school's Battle of the Books competition. If you'd like to hear about more books I'm reading, say so!