Dairy Queen | Teen Ink

Dairy Queen

The book Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock is great read if you're into football and cows. The main character D.J. Schwenk sets off on an amazing journey of inner self.
D.J. is an ordinary girl; she lives on a farm, tends the cows, and watches her brothers become international Football stars. D.J. is the one doing most of the farm work because her dad hurt his leg, her younger brother, Curtis, has basketball, and her older brothers are at collage. One of D.J.s family friends is the football coach for the other team, he asks D.J. to train one of his quarterbacks. D.J. accepts but in secret. She starts training Brain Nelson, he seems nice and he even power washes the barn for D.J.. The summer goes on like this, but D.J. starts developing a bad case of self-doubt, she starts to think of herself as a cow like the one she milks every morning. To be a cow you have to do whatever your told, not stand out, and be stuck in one place. She must find a way to get off the farm, to not be a cow.
D.J. is a kind, hardworking girl. Her brother, Curtis never talks. Her mom is working over time, with two jobs. Her dad has a hurt leg and does the cooking. D.J.'s B.F.F. Amber is overly nice and doesn't mind paying for the movie tickets. Brian Nelson is the kind hearted quarterback rival.
This story takes place in Red Bend, Wisconsin. Red Bend also will be where the next book, The Off Season, will take place.
I would give Dairy Queen a four star rating. It's a really good book for anyone who likes football or just wants a good book to read. I liked it because was about inner self, not just a day in a life. The only reason I didn't like it was because it was partly about football which I do not understand. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read it. Read Dairy Queen to find out whether or not D.J. stays a cow forever.

I love my book review!!