East of Eden by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

By SpidersAcrossStars PLATINUM, Hayward, California
SpidersAcrossStars PLATINUM, Hayward, California

For you, a thousand times over.

Are humans inherently good or inherently evil? What makes us who we are; nature or nurture? Do we have a say in the matter at all?
These are only some of the intriguing questions that John Steinbeck explores in his American classic, East of Eden. In a sort of tribute to the events that occurred in the Bible book of Genesis, this story follows two families who lives follow a similar path of that of Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel. There is love, there is sacrifice, there is the goodness of the human heart, but at the same time there is jealousy and there is hurt and there is evil. All of these come together and weave a beautifully crafted story that will stay with you long after you finish reading it.
East of Eden is Steinbeck at his finest. Not only does he have absolutely gorgeous prose and descriptions that will have you in awe of its beauty, but the characters that he develops in this epic novel are truly unforgettable. Join the deliciously evil Cathy on her quest to sabotage anything that she does not understand and to do anything - and I mean anything - to get her way. Follow the kind and endearing Samuel Hamilton as he has to face the challenges in his life and help those around him with theirs. And come along with the wise and loving Lee as he tries to make sense of the world and as he proves to be faithful and helpful towards those he loves.
While East of Eden is not for the faint of heart, it is a stunning literary achievement that will not fail to impress. I highly recommend it.

One of the best books I think I will ever read.

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

An enjoyable read!