Love-shy by Lili Wilkinson | Teen Ink

Love-shy by Lili Wilkinson

By Eva_Rose33 BRONZE, Ballarat, Other
Eva_Rose33 BRONZE, Ballarat, Other

I surprised myself by really liking this book! It was recommended to me and I thought it would be another one of those books where the girl magically ends up finding her true love whilst trying to achieve her lifelong goal. Although it was somewhat along the lines of that, it was also unexpectedly great in so many ways.
The main character is schoolgirl Penny Drummond who aspires to be a journalist. Not to have friends or a boyfriend. Not to go to parties and hang out at the movies or the shops. Doing well at school and becoming a journalist is basically all she wants. So, when she comes discovers a boy at her school is posting on a website called love-shy.com, she goes on a mission to find out who he is and help him in hope of making a name for herself as a journalist. However, this boy isn’t at all who she thinks he is. In fact, at one point she even gives up on writing the story because she is so freaked out by him. Not only this, but things start going badly for Penny without her even realising it at school because of her obsession with this love-shy boy. But very slowly, things start to get better for both of them.
One of the things I liked about this book is that the plot was not totally predictable and cliché. I also liked the fact that not everything was resolved within the space of the novel and that the characters didn’t ‘live happily ever after’. It made the story more relatable because in reality, situations as difficult as the one in the novel do take time to resolve. Overall, Love-shy was modern, funny, and relatable and I just didn’t want it to end.

I hope that from my review, you guys will understand how amazing this book is! Lili Wilkinson might not be the most famous author but she is one of the best. READ IT :)