The giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The giver by Lois Lowry

By SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire

This is a book I really enjoyed. The world building and writing style was top-notch, and the characters were all very well developed and jumped off the pages as you read them.

In this first book in a series of 4 (the giver quartet), there are 4 main protagonists: Matty, Jonas, Claire and Kira. But this first book only focuses on Jonas, who is a young boy living in a community with strict rules and restrictions that Jonas isn't a fond of. Like most books in its genre, there is at least a touch of romance and "breaking free of your society" involved within the book.

This book was a very short read and I read it in about two days, but each day was a delight and left me wanting more. Each sitting went by in a flash and I longed to find out what happened next.

I loved every part of the book in its entirety, each and every moment clear in my mind as if I were watching a movie. Everyday I'd go back and read a passage or two and maybe take some notes, it was that good. ( I'm not really in to taking notes. )

After reading The Giver, I have to say I was pretty shocked when the next book, Gathering Blue, jumped to Kira, the second protagonist. This book, I would say, was very different from its predecessor. It had a different setting and tone to the story. I was honestly expecting the book to start right where the last one left off, with Jonas and the sled ( not really a spoiler, but you'll understand after you read it. )

The author Lois Lowry is a New York Times bestseller as well as the author of several other books, including the Newbery Award winning book Number the stars, which was also a fantastic read and nothing like The Giver.

So if you're one for science fiction, the grandfather of Divergent and other modern classics is just the book for you! Happy reading!

CharleyHeelis BRONZE, Derby, Other

How can a bird that is born to fly, be put in a cage and expected to sing?

This was a reply to a comment on a piece of work I had done , I honestly don't know how it ended up here? Sorry xoxo

@CharleyHeelis: this review was not made by @Macprincess15

CharleyHeelis BRONZE, Derby, Other

@MacPrincess15 , thank you for your lovely comment ...It really lit up my day :-)