When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago | Teen Ink

When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago MAG

By Luar Orriola BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
Luar Orriola BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware

You are probably wondering why in the world you should read this book. Plain and simple, it shows you the ­trials that immigrants face when they move to the United States, including the many differences in language and culture. For ­example, when Esmeralda was growing up in Puerto Rico she would hear baladas, and when she got to New York, the music was rock and roll. In addition, the book shows what it’s like to have parents who are constantly fighting.

This book was great to read because I can relate to it; I am from Puerto Rico and know the whole jibaro lifestyle. However, the book is about a girl and what she has to live with: her parents never get married and her dad has a daughter with a different woman.

This novel also shows the customs of Puerto Rican people, like their small shops and traditional foods. Author Esmeralda Santiago was raised in Puerto Rico and when her mom gets a job, they move to New York, leaving their old life behind. Her life there is difficult because she is responsible for her younger siblings and herself.

When I Was Puerto Rican is perfect for those who like books that have real meaning. Sometimes it will make you sad and other times it will make you laugh. I highly recommend it to everyone.

4everluvjc BRONZE, Plantation, Florida

nothing is impossible with God! Try him and you'll see :)

My mom has this book. I plan to read it soon

MyKaleidoscopeWorld GOLD, Haymarket, Virginia

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Life is about giving it your all even when you have nothing.

I was born in Florida, but I'm Puerto Rican. I went there every summer with my grandparents. This book sounds cool. I think I might read it.

lucerito said...
hey i think this book is wonderfull

cubicle GOLD said...
cubicle GOLD, Toa Alta, Other
I'm also a born and raised Puerto Rican (I live in Puerto Rico currently). To be honest, I didn't start to love my culture until I read this book. True, it's not the same era and whatever. But still, it's a great book and it made me appreciate my culture.

lina8 said...
yo tambiien soy puerto riquena y tambiien recomiendo este libro.es muy bueno y muy interesante. y dice mucho de la raca boricua.

*LunaNight* GOLD, Staten Island, New York
im also Puerto Rican, and am greedy with wanting to know more knowlegde about my culture and heritage as well. i really plan on reading this book, and thank you for allowing me to know this book actually exists through your review.

LilJ<3 GOLD said...
LilJ<3 GOLD, Gloucester, Virginia
This sounds like a wonderful read! I am Puerto Rican too and i love everything about my culture! Thank you for recomending this!

♥ Jackie