What's Broken | Teen Ink

What's Broken

March 4, 2019
By kbohn BRONZE, Ohio, Ohio
kbohn BRONZE, Ohio, Ohio
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “What’s Broken,” written by Miles Pearson, talks about how we need to start listening to students of color. His writing left me feeling inspired because everything he wrote was what people need to start doing with colored people and students. In this article, he wrote about how more people need to fix the problem of school shootings by making sure kids don’t have things that they are keeping from others, and bottling them up until one day when they let it all out and could maybe put others in danger. This isn’t just an issue with colored people it is an issue with everyone, but mostly in colored people because sometimes they are scared to say something to others. Because they are afraid to say something because they might take into consideration what they are going through and get passed off as not important, so therefore the author states, “Black and brown teens, kids, and adults are shot every day because of fear, racism, and negative assumptions.” It’s sad because the author also states,” The fact that the police are more likely to shoot a black man with a cell phone outside his own house than a white man with a gun.” That is unbelievable because it still feels like segregation is still happing after it was supposed to end, and that is why that statement is true because people are still scared of colored people even though we are all God’s children.