After the Fire | Teen Ink

After the Fire

July 21, 2018
By TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
TheGeekyOne SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“When I’m 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I’ll be reading Harry Potter. And my family will say to me, ‘After all this time?’ And I will say, ‘Always.’”-Alan Rickman


After the Fire is a truly original book, with an exceptionally riveting story. This realistic fiction surrounds itself around a girl, Moonbeam, who is rescued from a god worshiping cult after a mysterious fire burnt away the base she has known her entire life. The fire left little. Those who survive will have to learn to lead an entirely new lifestyle, and to most it will not come easy. Moonbeam was taught to fear the outsiders, for they hadn’t a drop of humanity in their blood, and would do unspeakable things to her if she were to be captured. Moonbeam hasn’t been outside the fence for the better part of her life. She now finds herself in a hospital, surrounded, by, outsiders. Father Johns voice is constantly chiming and pounding in her head, telling her not to trust these people, calling her a heretic for what she has done. “Father John says, Father John says, Father John says,” but now Father John is gone, and she sits in a white interview room, with a therapist, and an FBI agent trying to make sense of what is the truth. The story unfolds as Moonbeam becomes more trusting of the outside world that isn’t as terrible as it was made out to be. She explains the submissive life that she, as well as her brothers and sisters lead in the base, beckoning to Father Johns every word. Preparing for the final battle that was to come, and liberate the faithful people of their gruesome lives to allow them to ascend to “the Lord’s” side. Will Hill tells a story that never falls flat, with shocks and surprises filling every page. This book will keep you up all night wanting to find out what happens next. I think that the most enjoyable part of my reading experience was that I finally got to read a YA novel that wasn't solely about romance. The story explores a variety of controversial topics that will leave you thinking, "What if this was my life?". It digs beyond the surface of daily dinner table conversations, and TV show discussions. It will leave you with chills no matter who you are. I highly recommend this read for someone who's looking to divert from their normal genre and explore something new.