A Chorus Rises by Bethany C. Morrow Review | Teen Ink

A Chorus Rises by Bethany C. Morrow Review MAG

May 27, 2021
By lynh SILVER, New York, New York
lynh SILVER, New York, New York
5 articles 9 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do not go gentle in that good night." -Dylan Thomas


The book, A Chorus Rises by Bethany C. Morrow is about a teen influencer — Naema Bradshaw. She is an Eloko, which is a person who is gifted with a song that woos anyone
who hears it. She’s famous, privileged, and pretty. She is adored until she is seen as an awful person who exposed Tavia’s secret siren powers. She is faced with the media against her, LOVE is not as supportive of Eloko, people of Portland don’t adore her as much as before, Tavia got a movie, and Naema despises this because the movie portrays her as a villain and doesn’t show that she is an Eloko.

I really enjoyed this story; it demonstrates finding yourself, becoming yourself, and facing changes. Naema decides to visit Portland — where her extended family lives — to reconnect with them after feeling lost by her friends, family, and community. In Portland, she discovers her true Eloko self and what it really means. Naema soon discovers toxic online supporters who are targeting black girls and women. I love how the author, Bethany C. Morrow, includes important topics and how Naema takes action. This book doesn’t include much intense action and fantasy, it’s more about Naema finding herself.

Overall, this book was great; I loved it! I liked Naema’s character, she is a definite
girl-boss! The writing was great and included important topics. The cover is gorgeous, as well! This is a sequel to A Song Below Water; which I didn’t read, but I still understood the story and it was easy to follow. I definitely recommend reading this book!