Choice Novel Essay | Teen Ink

Choice Novel Essay

December 1, 2022
By corinna_lang1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
corinna_lang1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My Heartbeat by Garret Freymann-Weyr is an easy to read novel set in New York City. It tells the story of a teenage girl, Ellen, who is madly in love with her brother’s best friend, James. After a friend asks Ellen if James and her brother, Link are a couple, Ellen begins to discover a secret about those closest to her. As she continues to understand what is going on, her relationship with James and Link changes in ways she could have never imagined. The story unfolds throughout the book and has many different layers and themes, including friendship, family, and coming of age. 


One of the things I liked about the book was that it was relatable. The book is set while the characters are in high school, as they face some of the typical challenges that people in high school encounter. Some of these examples include navigating friendships, applying for colleges, and the adventure of your first love. All of these themes could be interpreted differently and could be tied to each reader’s personal experiences. The romance in this book was also something that kept me interested and was a good hook for those that like to read romance books. Having themes in books that are relatable and applicable to real life, help me stay engaged and interested in reading because I might be able to take lessons from the pages and use them in my life. 


The book offers an escape from reality into a cheesy, easy to read story. It is a book that does not take much to understand, which can be a good mind break for people. With life being super busy for me, I am not able to find much time to read, so having a quick read that does not require much effort to finish is perfect. 


I think that people would like My Heartbeat because it offers a teenage perspective on growing up that young adults are able to relate to. I recommend this book to those in high school that like romance and drama. Although it is a shorter book, and if longer, the themes could be better expanded on, this makes it easier to finish the whole story for people that might have a harder time staying engaged in long books. Overall, this book is a lighthearted read that touches on common things that high schoolers might experience.