Coco | Teen Ink

Coco

July 2, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Coco is an animated movie about a boy named Miguel who dreams of becoming a musician, despite his family's hatred towards music. For generations, Miguel's family has held a ban on music and treats it like a curse. Miguel wants to be like his hero, Ernesto de la Cruz. Because of this, and his need to prove his talent and worth, and his love of music, the young boy ends up finding himself caught up in an adventure like no other when he lands in the Land of the Dead. When Miguel meets a tricky but, yet, charming Hector, the newfound friends embark on a journey that has them learning the truth about Miguel's family and it's history.


 This movie has excellent visual effects, archetypes, symbolism, and elucidates themes that can essentially be applied to just about anyone and everyone. With that said, this movie is not a great fit for teens above the age of 14. Some teens might enjoy this film, but this movie is absolutely not a high-paced, action-packed thriller. But for kids, adults, grandmas, grandpas, and everyone in between, this movie can truly surprise people. This movie might never become the classic that Toy Story is, but it has found a way to amaze people in it's own unique style. There is clearly a reason why this movie received an outstanding 97% review from Rotten Tomatoes.


The author's comments:

This is one of Pixar's finest.