Liar Liar | Teen Ink

Liar Liar

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Liar Liar is a movie revolving around Fletcher Reede, who happens to be a top attorney. Although he's an ace in the courtroom, he's a lousy husband and father. He's such a bad husband that his wife leaves him for a more dependable man. Even though Fletcher still tries to keep his relationship with his son, Max, he often breaks the commitments. On Max's fifth birthday, he wishes that his father wouldn't lie for a day, and when his wish magically comes true, Fletcher can only speak the truth, and it couldn't have come at a worse time. Reede has to win a career-deciding case, and winning is absolutely crucial, but the person he's defending has a tough case to defend, and not being able to lie makes it that much tougher. During his short period of time of not being able to lie, Fletcher learns what's truly important in life.

Even though the plot sounds dumb, the movie is surprisingly enjoyable and funny. Jim Carrey is hilarious in the movie and carries the entire thing on his back. His performance is one for the ages, and that's an understatement. Although the ending fails to deal with some of the more complicated issues it brought up, most of the movie is really good and elucidates applicable themes. Parts of the movie are slightly predictable, like the happy ending, but that's not the worst thing in the world. The movie is filled with hilarious scenes and even serious moments have some good jokes. Because the movie is rated PG-13, most people would assume that it's sort of family friendly, but in reality, it's not. One of the best parts of the movie is some of the closing credits cameos, which are loads of fun and well worth watching. Overall, Liar Liar is one of the better comedies out there, and the 81% rating that Rotten Tomatoes gave it is more than fair. 

Overall, Liar Liar is one of the better comedies out there, and the 81% rating that Rotten Tomatoes gave it is more than fair.