Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | Teen Ink

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

September 10, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues the adventures of the space adventurers that are best known for being a ragtag team of misfits. Led by Star-Lord, Peter Quill, a human with advanced technology, him and his fellow Guardians, Drax the Destroyer, who's known for being led by vengeance, Gamora, who used to work for the deadly Thanos, Groot, the mighty tree-like alien that can only say three words, and Rocket, a talking raccoon with a knack for stealing things he likes, get a job to work for a powerful alien race known as the Sovereign. The Sovereign wants the team to protect their precious batteries from being stolen, but when Rocket captures the batteries, the superior alien race sends futuristic ships to eliminate them from existence. However, right before the armada disintegrates them, Peter Quill's mysterious parentage is revealed, as well as some insight into how Peter Quill found himself working for Yandu, a space pirate who essentially raised Star-Lord. 
 

Although this movie isn't nearly as fun, fresh, or as triumphant as the original, this sequel proves that the Guardians of the Galaxy are here to stay. While mentioning some more grim tones, as well as possessing some darker scenes, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 manages to still fit in their outstanding one-liners and wonderfully witty scenes. Even though the originative original managed to mesh together better than this one, this movie still manages to be entertaining, exciting, and introduces new characters smoothly, which isn't always such an easy task. Sequels are almost always known for not living up to expectations, but Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 shatters that stereotype in a proud manner that the Guardians themselves would approve of. 
 

The ending to the movie is surprisingly heartfelt and makes the audience connect with the characters on a new level, something the original laid the groundwork for. The villain in this movie isn't the most impressive, but the conflict is mighty, emotional, and allows the villain to be far from lackluster. The same beloved characters join forces in this one, but Drax the Destroyer's dialogue feels a little forced at times. The vivid visual effects of the movie still reign supreme, as one would hope for, and help to capture the science fiction-esque that the prequel captured proudly. Although Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 doesn't topple over the original Guardians of the Galaxy, it still manages to create an enticing tale of good versus evil and people struggling to deal with family issues-an all too relatable problem. 


The author's comments:

Although Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 doesn't topple over the original Guardians of the Galaxy, it still manages to create an enticing tale of good versus evil and people struggling to deal with family issues-an all too relatable problem.