Mary Poppins Returns review | Teen Ink

Mary Poppins Returns review

December 24, 2018
By ahmontgomery PLATINUM, Eminence, Kentucky
ahmontgomery PLATINUM, Eminence, Kentucky
23 articles 13 photos 44 comments

Recently, I had the privilege of getting to go see Mary Poppins Returns. Mary Poppins was a classic story written by P.L. Travers, that was turned into the classic Disney film.
Mary Poppins Returns follows the story of Jane and Michael Banks who have grown up. Michael Banks and his family have recently suffered a tragedy, and Mary Poppins once again comes to look after the Banks family.
Mary Poppins Returns has many beautiful songs including Turning Turtle and Imagine That, the songs are very playful and exciting. However as beautiful as the songs are they do not compare to the original Mary Poppins songs, which were much better thought out and catchy.
Mary Poppins is depicted as being "practically perfect in every way" and Emily Blunt as well as Hamilton's Lin-Manuel Miranda, most definitely lived up to that expectation. Viewers can also look forward to a playful song (and very fun accent) from Meryl Streep, who is depicted as Mary Poppins' cousin.
Overall the film was terrific but was a small letdown in comparison to the original Mary Poppins film. This film is thoroughly enjoyable, and I highly recommend it, while it may not have been perfect in EVERY way, it should not be thought of as anything less than remarkable.