The Fault in our Stars | Teen Ink

The Fault in our Stars

By 22mk01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22mk01 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

The 2014 romantic film “The Fault in our Stars” has became one of the greatest known movies. This film is based on the book written by John Green and is directed by Josh Boone. This is an incredibly moving movie which has an amazing theme. When the feature first came out it was said to be one of the greatest romance movies at that time. This movie has won over 20 awards: best romance movie, movie of the year, best cast chemistry, and many more.

“The Fault in our Stars” by Josh Boone is a great movie with a very interesting story. From here on there will be spoilers in this film review. Hazel Grace Lancaster (played by Shailene Woodley) is a cancer patient with a big personality. She meets the love of her life at the support group that her doctor recommended to her. This is the start of a wonderful love story between Hazel and Augustus Waters (played by Ansel Elgort). Their love is really tested when Augustus (Gus) finds out that he, once again, has cancer. This movie stays true to what relationships are actually like. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship, in which this movie really proves to be true.

This movie has an outstanding storyline and stays true to what life is actually like. In this film, the director captured the realism of what can happen with cancer. Cancer is a serious problem that a number of people live with in their day to day life. This film really puts that all into perspective. There is a lot said about cancer in the movie, most are bad: chemo, doctor visits, relapses, and not being able to do things kids would typically be doing. The movie shows all of these parts about cancer. There are many moments in the film where Hazel or Augustus are in the hospital, whether that's for a doctor visit or an emergency, it's a lot to take in. At one point in the film, Hazel wants to go to Amsterdam to meet her favorite author. Her doctors say this is impossible because she has lung cancer. This just goes to show how much cancer patients lives are affected. Hazel does end up going with her mom and Augustus.

I believe the theme of this movie is that love will only get stronger when there are challenges along the way. Hazel and Gus have many moments in the movie where their love gets tested. For example, Gus ends up having a relapse of cancer, which puts a huge dent in their relationship. They continue to work through this bump in the road only to come out stronger then they were before. Gus ends up dying towards the end of the movie, Hazel is asked to write a eulogy for his funeral, in this eulogy she writes “ some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” She goes on to explain that a writer that they once liked told them this. Hazel believes that Gus should have gotten a bigger infinity than he got. Then she goes on to say that she was overly happy for the little infinity that Gus and her got. This theme has a very strong message to give, and everyone should find something in this movie that relates to them.

Overall this was an incredible movie, one of Josh Boone’s most popular that he has directed. This film received a 7.7 out of 10 rating on IMDb. Movie critics have described it as “wise, funny, and heartbreaking without resorting to exploitation.” Everyone should get a chance to see this popular, award-winning movie.

Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

This is a great review. I read the book and I also watched the movie. I have to say that I LOVE this movie. I could not stop crying when I watched it.