Bohemian Rhapsody | Teen Ink

Bohemian Rhapsody

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Bohemian Rhapsody is a movie that depicts the story of Queen and their lead singer, Freddie Mercury. The movie starts with the very beginning, including how Freddie worked at an airport before he even met the band members that would later become Queen and then how he was able to convince them to let him join the band after one of their members quit. Queen later progressed with Freddie Mercury as the lead singer to create original, creative music that was unlike anything that had ever been done before, leading to them having incredible success and fame. However, although things seemed to be great on the outside, the truth is that Freddie Mercury's life wasn't as good as it seems. In reality, he had to deal with people who ended up trying to ruin his life, dealing with parents who never understood his career decision, dealing with the love of his life who he can't have, and the fact that Freddie had to deal with discovering his real sexuality, only to be hounded by the press for it. To make things worse, Freddie soon gets diagnosed with AIDS and decides that he must do his best to reunite Queen and try to turn around the short amount of life he has left, before its too late. 
 Bohemian Rhapsody proves to be an entertaining story that showcases that the life as a rockstar isn't all that it's made out to be. The beginning of the movie brilliantly introduces audiences to the seemingly simple Freddie, who wasn't even really named that at the time. However, the middle of the movie does have a few parts that seem to be a little too slow for some. Although the pace can be a little painful at certain parts, new challenges rise for Freddie, which is a major factor in understanding the star. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be everything and then some and really puts a smile on viewers' faces as the true personality of Freddie Mercury is showcased, regardless of the circumstances. 

Bohemian Rhapsody manages to have some great music in it with most of it being some of Queen's most famous songs. Because the movie's title is that of a song, it is only fitting that the movie has great music as well. However, the music is elevated to the next level when audiences are introduced to some of the influences on some of the songs and the effects that they have on the band's life. 

Bohemian Rhapsody has a talented cast that is able to transform into their roles spectacularly. Although the entire band has amazing actors, the real star is Rami Malek, who plays Freddie Mercury, the real star of the movie. Rami is truly able to transform into the flamboyant, extravagant character and is able to bring a level of emotion to the movie that is necessary to demonstrate the character's honest feelings. Another surprisingly good actor is Mike Meyers, who does a magnificent job of transforming into Ray Foster, who's character helps to add some humor to the movie, which helps to keep the tone of the movie from going overly-dark. 

Although viewers seem to fall in love with Bohemian Rhapsody, critics had some strange opinions of the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a surprisingly low 61%, which is really not that impressive of the score. However, IMDb gave the movie an outstanding 8.1/10, which is so much better than it seems and truly is a mark to be proud of. But the real star is fans' opinions. A whopping 97% of Google users liked the movie, which is nothing short of shear greatness. The fact that out of 100 people, only 3 didn't like the movie just helps to demonstrate that the movie is an excellent choice for just about anyone and everyone. This also helps to put Rotten Tomatoes' low score to shame. The other strange thing is the fact that the movie is nominated for several Academy Awards, and the score that Rotten Tomatoes gives usually helps in determining how good a movie's chances of winning are, but, yet, the movie is expected to take home at least one award. 

Bohemian Rhapsody is an entertaining movie that is able to really change people's perceptions of the music industry and the band Queen and will absolutely surpass any and all previous expectations. This movie, like Freddie Mercury, is a star. 

"Tell you what it is, Mr. Reid. Now we're four misfits who don't belong together, we're playing for the other misfits. They're the outcasts, right at the back of the room. We're pretty sure they don't belong either. We belong to them." - Freddie 

Awesome movie review! I completely agree!