The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift | Teen Ink

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is the third movie in the Fast and Furious franchise and kicks up the amount of action to the next level. The movie revolves around Sean Boswell, who feels like an outsider that doesn't really belong anywhere. However, he likes to spend his time as a street racer and feels best behind the wheel. Although he feels comfortable driving, driving is what eventually causes him to be unpopular with the authorities and forces him to relocate multiple times. After causing massive damage due to reckless driving, Sean is forced to go to either jail or go live with his father in Tokyo, Japan. Since moving to Japan seems like the better option, Sean finds himself living in a tiny home in a foreign area where he begins to feel like an outsider even more. However, after becoming friends with a kid at school, Sean soon starts to get into street racing once again, just in a new area. Even though Sean thinks he's an experienced racer who can keep up with the best of them, he soon realizes that they have a different style of racing in Japan that involves dangerous, fast-paced drifts. Sean must soon deal with higher stakes than he's ever imagined, make friends with another dangerous rider who believes in him, deal with the Japanese mafia, and he ends up falling for an aggressive rider's girlfriend, who has deep connections to the mob. Although Sean will try his best to adapt to the foreign area, he soon learns that racing is much more serious here and that if he isn't careful, he might wind up dead. 
 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift proves to be the best movie in the franchise to date, mostly because it has an incomparable amount of adventure and intensity. The beginning of the movie brilliantly sets the stage for the rest of the film and is definitely an excellent way to jumpstart everything. The middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing things along and is able to present new conflicts to the characters, making the movie substantially more interesting. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be exhilarating and is able to conclude everything that the rest of the movie had been trying to build up to in a fantastic fashion. Although the movie doesn't have too many surprises, there are a few thrilling twists and turns that are sure to shock even the most experienced of movie-goers. 
 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift greatly benefits from having some amazing visuals that aid the movie in capturing everything that it could have possibly wanted to conjure and then some. The vivid visual effects of the movie are just awesome and truly help in bringing the intensity of speed racing to life even more so. These spectacular special effects are crucial to the movie being able to execute so many different car stunts and is a major factor in causing the movie to look so incredible. Because the movie takes place in Tokyo, a city known for having vibrant colors and eccentric skyscrapers and areas, the jaw-dropping cars that have bright colors stand out even more so, and it helps to constantly create outstanding images. 
 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift has the best racing action yet and has some of the best driving scenes in the entire franchise. Because the style of driving in the movie relies heavily on drifting, the movie is able to create suspenseful turns. Secondly, since a major race takes place going down a tall mountain that has many windy twists and turns, the true extent of drifting is showcased even more so. 

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is able to stand out even more so from the other movies in the franchise due to a convincing villain. Since the bad guy of the movie is able to pose as a serious threat that isn't afraid of being a tough mobster, Sean is pushed to his very limit and all the racing and actions in the movie have potentially dear consequences. Also, because of the amount of emotional strain on Sean, the movie sort of becomes part coming-of-age, which helps to show how driving isn't just a hobby for the characters in the franchise, but, instead, it is something more. It's an escape. 

Although viewers seem to fall in love with The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, critics weren't so pleased. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an extremely low 36%. However, an impressive 93% of Google users liked the movie, so the fact that critics weren't that thrilled shouldn't have the biggest impact on potential viewers, since the movie certainly has its highlights. 

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift doesn't have the best plot ever, but it still proves to be worth watching, since it is the best movie in the Fast and Furious franchise so far and makes up for its faults with adventurous, high-stakes racing and magnificent visuals. It reinvents what it means to be fast and furious. 

"Life's simple: You make choices and you don't look back." - Han