Blood in Blood out reivew | Teen Ink

Blood in Blood out reivew

November 21, 2019
By Bdelgado10 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Bdelgado10 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Based in in East Los Angeles from the 1970s to the 1990s. A touching story of three chicano men who get involved with what keeps this story so interesting drugs, prison, and gang wars. Miklo, played by Damian Chappa was a character who despite not being accepted by some old friends and family, ends up being loved by most of them. He also spends some time in prison with other gang members and the movie slowly reveals his story. Benjamin Bratt played as Paco and this is an interesting character due to his background and the way he chooses to portray himself knowing he could do better. Lastly, Cruz, played by Jesse Borrego. Having an immense amount of talent for art he makes his family and barrio proud with his masterpieces. He gets noticed and successfully gets into an art school. Unfortunately, suffers the consequences of being a gang member. This movie was released on april 6, 1993. Directed by Taylor Hackford, Blood in Blood out had great success as its box office was $4.497 million dollars. According to IMDb, 8/10 people loved this movie which is one main reason to watch. 

The story was filled with action packed gang wars which got very violent at times. The characters do a great job portraying a 90´s ¨cholo¨ (gangster) with their accents, vocabulary, ego, and most importantly their culture. Throughout the movie, a recurring theme is loyalty which is crucial if one is in a gang and these ̈cholos ̈ present this by never leaving one behind no matter the circumstance. I must admit, this is one of my all time favorite movies due to the fact that it reveals so many things about chicanos from their perspective. In society, they are usually known are heartless monsters but, this movie shows some people are born into these lifestyles. Now I know that this movie is based in the U.S. but it was disappointing to hear so much english. All the characters were hispanic and raised in a barrio which means they should be comfortable with their mother language. I can't complain too much though because despite not hearing that much spanish, the characters managed to portray the mexican culture in a spectacular way. This includes the slang, barbecues, clothing, houses, and the excessive cursing! My favorite part of the movie is Miklo ́s journey in prison because not only does it show what prison life is like but it also gives the viewer an insight of how gangs and gang members deal with other gang members in prison.

All in all, I would recommend this movie  to someone who would like to inform themselves on what gang life was like in the 90s in Los Angeles. On the other hand, You could watch it for the same reason I watched it, for pleasure but in the end, actually learned a lot about LA gangs, how drug trafficking works and the hardships gangsters face. Also, how life in the barrios was like in East Los Angeles during the 90's. 


The author's comments:

This movie is one of my all time favorite movies because I can connect to it culturally.