Escape Plan | Teen Ink

Escape Plan

Escape Plan proves to be a dramatic roller coaster that is exhilarating, intense and includes plenty of action-packed escape plans to bring the whole movie together. The movie revolves around Ray Breslin, a tough and hardened man with a brutal attitude and the confidence to get out of any situation. In fact, Ray's speciality is getting out of jails, which he is naturally gifted at. He truly understands the way in which jails operate and function, but more importantly, Ray also knows how to successfully break out of a jail. Ray's job is to escape from various prisons to help find faults in it, which would ideally help to improve the security system of the said jail and help keep locked criminals in the places deemed fit for holding them. Ray's latest task involves going to the most guarded prison in the world and trying to escape from there for a huge financial gain. However, things quickly turn sour when Ray becomes double-crossed by someone close to him and is soon forced to attempt to escape with no chance of receiving help from the outside world. This new jail is like nothing else Ray has ever experienced and may finally be the most impenetrable jail in the entire world. Luckily for Ray, he quickly meets a man named Emil Rottmayer while in prison, and Emil is willing to assist Breslin in his escape out of this prison. As Emil, a fellow inmate, agrees to team up with Ray as they form a plan to get out of the jail, they form an unlikely duo that might just allow them to escape from a supposedly inescapable prison. However, the only thing standing in their way is a single guard that is persistent and determined to do whatever it takes to ensure that they don't succeed with their plan. Despite both the talent, skills and tactics that Emil and Raw have, as time continues to go on, it appears like escaping might be impossible. 

Escape Plan manages to transform into a true adventure that will appeal to just about anyone and everyone. The beginning of the movie does a brilliant job of introducing audiences to Ray Breslin, and the movie successfully manages to showcase him as a likable and easy to root for character that is appealing and sure to become sympathetic with viewers. The middle of the movie does a satisfactory job of progressing the plot along, and while it may be somewhat basic and standard, it still ensures that the actual story continues to develop and adds more challenging obstacles to further the development of all of the main characters. The enticing ending of the movie is slightly predictable and expected, but it still manages to provide a few thrilling twists and turns that efficiently pour entertainment into the movie. 

Escape Plan greatly benefits from a star-studded cast that oozes with talent and shines at every possible opportunity. Sylvester Stallone is spectacular as Ray Breslin, and as Stallone always is, he once again provides a character that is emotional, passionate and relatable in all of the right ways. His character has plenty of heart, despite his chiseled personality and outlook on life, and the character's raw determination is nothing to scoff at. Arnold Schwarzenegger is superb as Emil Rottmayer, and he provides a terrific contrast to Stallone's Breslin. Both characters are instrumental in creating a captivating story, and this is a direct result of the actors behind them. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are both noteworthy actors that are able to combine together to create an awesome acting duo that appeals to watchers of all ages. While both actors are perhaps more notable for starring in other features, this movie is much more relaxing for them, and it is easy to see how they are able to revel in their roles, having so much fun in the process. 
 Escape Plan may not be that sophisticated of a film, but the movie is still able to provide a sufficient amount of entertainment. With aid from an uncanny cast, the movie is able to create substantial and profound characters. It isn't perfect, but the movie is still definitely worth giving a chance. ​

"Boom!" - Ray Breslin