Aladdin | Teen Ink

Aladdin

January 1, 2020
By Anonymous

 Aladdin is a modern version of the beloved animated Disney movie of the same name, acting as a live action film to retell the classic story. Revolving around the lovable and easy to like Aladdin, Aladdin is nothing more than a street rat that spends his time stealing and using thievery on the streets to be able to afford to eat. After being placed into an unfortunate situation that caused him to become an orphan, Aladdin has been on his own since a very young age. In fact, the only guardian ever really present for Aladdin since then has been his best friend monkey, Abu. Together, Abu and Aladdin attempt to use their cunning wits, their physical prowess and knowledge of the city that surrounds them to survive and get by in a tough world. However, Aladdin's entire life is torn upside down when he comes into contact with Princess Jasmine. Jasmine has not been seen much since the death of her mother, but as the daughter of the sultan, she has plenty of influence as one of the most power people in the kingdom of Agrabah. This means that the law states she cannot marry anyone that is not a prince, and it also means that Aladdin really shouldn't be able to spend time with her, despite how they both have feelings for one another. Despite this, Aladdin still attempts to visit her lovely palace, sneaking past powerful guards in the process. This greatly pleases Princess Jasmine, but the other guards of the palace aren't so happy with Aladdin's actions, causing him to become captured. With the choice of either going to prison or doing a little errand for some mysterious people, Aladdin chooses to go out on a quest to search for an old lamp in a hidden cave. In doing so, Aladdin manages to stumble onto a magical lamp that just happens to be the home of a likable, all-powerful, and hilarious genie that is like nothing else that Aladdin has ever seen. Blue, giant, and capable of fulfilling someone's every whim and desire, the genie is truly a magical friend that everyone would want to have. As the genie begins to befriend and trust Aladdin more, they both combine together to help Princess Jasmine fall in love with Aladdin and prevent Jafar, an evil sorcerer, from usurping the throne from Jasmine before she ever even gets it. 

 Aladdin may solely be a live action version of the animated film, attempting to tell the same classic story, but the original still stands superior. However, there are still certainly moments of inspiration throughout the film, including its ability to craft together a sense of magic and art that brings the movie's more fantastical qualities to life. The magic lamp of Aladdin, the genie and his magical carpet are all transformed into realistic items that the average viewer can only dream of possessing. In fact, while this movie's version of Aladdin might be slightly different, becoming more of a struggling thief, the relationship between the genie and him still remains genuinely fun. The genie, named Genie, and Aladdin have an unlikely friendship that is made all the better by the fact that their faults balance with one another, forming an unlikely duo that serves as the foundation for the rest of the film. 

 Aladdin takes the classic story of the same name and infuses plenty of modern elements into it. Princess Jasmine is no longer a helpless princess that solely stands out for wishing to be in a relationship with Aladdin, but her character is also made notable by the fact that she wants to rule her kingdom. While there has never been a female sultan previously, Princess Jasmine still believes she's the best option to rule her kingdom and is most qualified for aiding her people. Jasmine feels like she's being neglected by her society's conservative aspects, and this is why she and Aladdin have a far more unique relationship in this film. Jasmine craves the freedom that Aladdin has, with his ability to go anywhere and everywhere whenever it pleases him. Although Jasmine is forced to adhere to her father's judgement and everyone else that seems to have a position in the royal government, Aladdin only has to do what he wishes to, which might just be one of Jasmine's greatest dreams. 

 Aladdin might not be as concise or as cohesive as the original animated adventure, but that doesn't prevent the film from creating a modern twist on the story through a live action movie. Magical in its entirety, the movie is able to bring plenty of obscure concepts to life and use vivid visuals to capture some truly spectacular scenes, like Aladdin searching for the magical lamp. The relationship between Genie and Aladdin is still profound and meaningful enough to make audiences of all ages wish that they had a friend like Genie, and this allows the film to be full of impossibility. This appeals to the inner child in everyone and brings out a sense of nostalgic joy that is unmistakably beautiful. Although the film might not be as well-composed as the original, it still remains an absolute must-see for fans of the original. 


The author's comments:

"I made you look like a prince on the outside, but I didn’t change anything on the inside. Prince Ali got you to the door, but Aladdin has to open it." - Genie