wonder woman 1984 movie revew | Teen Ink

wonder woman 1984 movie revew

February 3, 2021
By Anonymous


When word got out that Wonder Woman 1984, or WW84, was announced many people were quite excited because the first Wonder Woman was so enjoyable. However in my opinion, and for a lot of others like me, it was, to put it frankly, not great. WW84 is set in 1984, however, why they chose that year remains unclear. It takes place in Washington, D.C. and a few other places around the world for brief scenes. 


Set 67 years after the previous Wonder Woman film, WW84 begins with Diana Prince, a.k.a. Wonder Woman (again played by Gal Gadot), trying to recover ancient and magical objects stolen from the Smithsonian, where Diana Prince just happens to work. At the same time, she is trying to get over the loss of the love of her life, Steve Trevor. What she doesn’t know is that one of the objects holds the key to a supernatural force that seek to take advantage of. However, when she realizes the power held by one of the objects, a magical wishing stone, she is tempted to use its power to deal with her grief despite the toll it will take on her. 


This was director Patty Jenkins’ second time at the helm of the franchise, but first time’s a charm: WW84 neither lived up to the pre-release hype nor the quality of the original movie. One of my criticisms of the film is that the action scenes were second-rate at best. They were too short and there wasn’t enough thought put into them. For example, Wonder Woman’s main foe, Cheetah, could jump on the metal power transmission towers but got defeated via electrocution. Really? And how Wonder Woman struggled so much in some of her fight scenes with a character that for all intents and purposes, did not seem to be as strong or formidable. Wonder Woman is a god, for Pete's sake! In the first movie, she battled Ares, THE GOD OF WAR,  so it makes no sense that she couldn't take down Cheetah, a mortal with enhanced strength. And unlike in the first movie, in WW84 there were a lot of loose ends, some of them major. Clearer explanations were needed to have it make sense. It just didn’t have the overall effect a movie needs in order to be engaging. A good movie is one that is unpredictable, suspenseful, and one that can keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time; this was not one of those movies. There was no anticipation, no suspense, and in all honesty, I almost fell asleep and that never happens. It's almost hard to give suggestions on how to improve it because of how bad it was. Even on a plot level there was just not enough thought put into the makings of this movie. In my opinion 2 ½ hours of Wonder Woman fighting a rock and a cat is not worth watching.


I did not like this move and I do not, I repeat, do not suggest wasting 2½ hours of your precious life watching this. If I were to rate WW84 I would give it a 2 out of 5 only because it had good special effects. That counts for something right? Even if you think you’ll like it, take my advice, don't waste your time.  If you’re still not convinced, go for it. Who am I to tell you what to watch and what not to watch? Oh right, the reviewer.