Crash Landing On You | Teen Ink

Crash Landing On You

Twenty-five years ago, since the opening of the local cinema, I have been able to gladly enjoy hundreds of spontaneous movies. The local cinema has displayed the most top hit movies from all around the world. My most favorite movie that has been presented in the local cinema is ‘Crash Landing On You’. This is a South Korean movie directed by Lee Jeong-hyo featuring two popular actors Hyun Bin and Son Ye-Jin playing the main leads. It was released on February 16, 2020 under the genre ‘Romance’. It is about a South Korean chaebol heiress who goes paragliding to advertise her new athletic merch, however, a storm sweeps her way and crashes her into a North Korean Army Base where she meets the captain who tries to help her secretly return back to her home country. Through their obstacles and difficulties, they fall in love despite the dispute between the two neighboring countries!

The least enjoyable part of the movie was the special effects. Throughout the movie, the producers use green screen in order to film some of the scenery of the movie. However, while watching the movie it was obvious in some situations that the scenes were graphic and unreal. Although it does not affect the plot and story of the movie, it does affect the view and quality which plays a negative role on the presentation of the movie as a whole. If this mini issue was tweaked and edited it would allow the movie to be viewed by picky people who get irritated by the presentation of the movie.

The aspect that I liked a little better that made the movie more enjoyable was the choice of actors and the roles they were assigned. In my opinion Hyun Bin was the perfect man for this role because throughout his career in acting he has performed in multiple action movies and tv show receiving multiple awards. This shows that he has skills in the particular role he was assigned. In the movie, he did an amazing job in acting as a soldier showing honesty, courage, discipline, and protectiveness. His innocent face made the characteristics of the character more convincing. Additionally, Son Ye-Jin was also a great choice of actor for this film. In her acting career, she has performed in several romance movies and tv shows also receiving multiple awards for her outstanding performance. Her soft heartedness and great performance truly affected the movie and boosted the friendship and romance portion of the movie. Furthermore, the two actors fit perfectly together as couples as they work really well together. Especially because they are dating in real life so the feelings on screen are somewhat real. In both the eyes of the actors, throughout the movie true love can clearly be seen in their eyes.

The part that I love the most in this movie is the setting. The movie takes place in both South Korea and North Korea. Although the two countries may have the same origin, they are complete opposites. The movie clearly distinguishes the differences by portraying the differing levels of modernization, the culture, the food, the lifestyle, and much more. This allows foreigners like me to visualize a life in both the countries and see how they are structured. Not only does the movie serve to entertainment its viewers but to also educates those that are unaware of the differences between South Korea and North Korea. The movie also shows that although there may be disputes between countries there are always loving people out there that are extremely welcoming despite one’s race, gender, or ethnicity.

Despite the poor special effects, overall, the actors, the characters/roles that were presented, and the setting were astonishing making this movie, ‘Crash Landing On You’ extremely enjoyable! Hence, I would rate the movie a 9 out of 10 because of the outstanding plot and the amazing characters. I would definitely recommend this movie, to escape real world, live in a fantasy, and experiences a life in North and South Korea.