Life Itself Movie Review | Teen Ink

Life Itself Movie Review

April 1, 2022
By rmorrow24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
rmorrow24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

How does life really work? How does fate line up? With this movie it really answered my questions. In late 2018, Life Itself was written and directed by Dan Fogelman. About 15-20 minutes in, it grabs you by the throat. So many tear jerkers, and words that you think about after the movie. It starts off with this couple, in love in the best place in the world, New York City, names being Will and Abby. They both have a difficult past and lots of trauma of their own, making the audience have compassion for them. As a viewer I was able to see a lot of character development right from the beginning. The married pair has a baby on the way when sudden death hits and destroys the family.  The newly born child is left alone living with her grandparents. Not shortly after each of her birth parents pass, her only motherly figure in her life dies. Unfortunately, this new, fresh, young life is surrounded by death. As for anyone this will create trauma. She is learning to always expect the unexpected at an age that no one should have to. About half-way through the movie it switches to the perspective of another family in Spain and their struggles. Throughout the movie there comes flashbacks of Will and Abby and how they fell in love. 

The whole idea of the movie was that there is a parallel to your life and fate could align you with someone or something significant. Something that I pulled from this was, when you are born you already have a life written for you, and the person or thing that writes is quite literally life itself. This was such an interesting dynamic to a movie. Showing that no one controls your life besides life. Not only did the movie inform viewers of life lessons, but also shows a theme of identity. How all people grieve, grow up, fail, and have success. Overall, my takeaway is,  life is inevitable and you, we, us as one just have to play our roles and let life take its course.