The Hunger Games Cinematic Trilogy | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games Cinematic Trilogy

By 4fawley BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
4fawley BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

The well-known book trilogy tends to leave its readers in awe. Suzanne Collins, the author of the famous young adult series, created an intense story filled with suspense and relatable characters. The book trilogy read so well with readers worldwide that in 2012, the first movie based on the literature was released. 

The Hunger Games is a gruesome, bitter-sweet story set in a dystopian future America, where there are 12 separate districts of starving, poor, practically enslaved commoners. At the same time, the capital of the country controls everything while maintaining a rich lifestyle at the expense of the districts. Each year, 2 kids, one boy, and one girl, from each district would be randomly selected into the Capitol where they fight to the death in an arena to demonstrate the complete control of the Capitol over the district citizens. 

Being an avid reader and lover of The Hunger Games books, I had high expectations for the movies to be spectacular.  From the books, I enjoyed the complicated plot mixed with the average characters to see how they react. It allows the audience to relate to the characters even though they are met with life-threatening decisions. These aspects of the books that I loved were so accurately portrayed in the movies that it was pleasing to be able to find many similarities.

I also enjoyed the acting portrayed throughout the movies. The characters in this movie are very difficult and yet very unique. The actors, including Jennifer Lawrence, Katniss Everdeen; Josh Hutcherson, and Peeta Mellark; accurately portray their characters while showing character development throughout the trilogy. 

The visual aspect of these movies is also pleasing to the eye, as the director knows when the shot should have a dull finish or a clear and shiny perspective of the world based on the setting of the plot. For example, the shots of the movie taken in the poor miserable districts have a dull, dark, and gloomy presence to the audience to provoke sad emotions from the audience, while the shots of the exquisite Capitol have a bright and shiny vibe to convey the feelings of the capitol. This also adds to the relationship of the audience to the main characters. The costumes are also fantastically created with great quality and are accurate as they are described in the original books. 

In conclusion, every aspect of the movie fulfilled my expectations after being a lover of the books they were based on. The acting, costumes, plot, and overall visuality of the movies were all exceptionally portrayed with attention to detail. I no longer call myself a lover of The Hunger Games books, but also the movies. 

I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES BOOKS AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE TO READ! After watching the movies, I love them even MORE!!