Whimper or Whiplash | Teen Ink

Whimper or Whiplash

By Leo-Yang GOLD, Nanjing, Other
Leo-Yang GOLD, Nanjing, Other

I have watched Whiplash for the third time, and it still gave me a lot of insights. It's not just the plot construction and storytelling that impressed me, but also the film's cinematography and presentation.

"Whiplash" is a gripping and intense film that explores the relationship between a talented jazz drummer named Andrew and his abusive and demanding music teacher, Terence Fletcher. The movie delves into the lengths that some individuals will go to achieve greatness, as well as the toxic dynamics that can arise in high-pressure environments.

The movie portrays the conflicts that arise between these two characters as they push each other to the brink of their abilities in pursuit of musical perfection.

One of the central conflicts in the film is between Andrew and his mentor, Fletcher. Fletcher's approach to teaching is harsh and unrelenting, and he constantly pushes Andrew beyond his limits, both physically and emotionally. The conflict between Andrew and Fletcher is one of power and control, with Fletcher using his authority as a teacher to manipulate and abuse his student. This dynamic creates a sense of tension and danger throughout the film, as Andrew struggles to meet Fletcher's impossibly high standards while also trying to maintain his own sense of self-worth.

Another important conflict is the one between Andrew and himself. Andrew is consumed by his own perfectionism and driven to achieve greatness at any cost. He is constantly pushing himself to do better, to be better, and to never settle for less than perfection. This internal conflict drives Andrew's character arc and ultimately leads to a dramatic confrontation with Fletcher in the film's climax.

The sound and picture construction in Whiplash is expertly crafted to heighten the tension and intensity of the film's themes and conflicts.

The most notable aspects of the film's sound design is its use of music. Whiplash is, at its core, a movie about jazz music and the pursuit of excellence in this field. The music is expertly integrated into the film's sound design, with the jazz drumming serving as a driving force that propels the narrative forward and underscores the film's themes of ambition and sacrifice. The sound of the drums is visceral and intense, creating a sense of urgency and tension that is palpable throughout the film.

The film's cinematography is also noteworthy, with its use of close-ups and extreme close-ups to convey the characters' emotions and the physical demands of playing jazz music. The camera frequently lingers on Andrew's face and hands as he plays the drums, capturing the intense concentration and physical strain that comes with this demanding art form. The cinematography also uses dynamic camera movements and cutting to create a sense of momentum and energy, further underscoring the film's themes of ambition and drive.

The use of color in the film is also notable, with the deep blue tones of the jazz club contrasting with the stark whites and blacks of the music conservatory. This contrast between the two settings highlights the conflict between the world of traditional music education and the free-form improvisation of jazz, further emphasizing the film's themes of tension and conflict.

The film's use of music, cinematography, and color create a sensory experience that draws the viewer into the world of the film and underscores its themes of ambition, sacrifice, and the pursuit of excellence. The result is a cinematic masterpiece that leaves a lasting impression on the viewer.

Whiplash is my favorite movies ever. I have watched it for three times