Waitress | Teen Ink

Waitress MAG

By Anonymous

Why is it that some of the best and most original movies are seldom advertised? I was asking myself this as I watched “Waitress,” a film I had not heard of beyond spotting it at Blockbuster.

I was intrigued by the prospect of a movie about pie. I figured if the entire feature was completely terrible, hey, it would still be about pie and I wouldn’t feel completely ripped off. But as it began, my views changed and I realized this is not just a movie about everyone’s favorite dessert.

“Waitress” is the story of Jenna (Keri Russell), a young woman working at a small-town diner. She has a gift for making pies, which she names after whatever happens to be on her mind at the time.

Her life is far from perfect, however. She has a cruel, sexist, and slovenly husband named Earl (Jeremy Sisto) who completely controls her life. She dreams of winning a pie contest and earning enough money to escape her unhappy marriage.

Jenna’s hopes are crushed when she finds out that after a night of drunken debauchery, she is pregnant with Earl’s baby. With nothing else to do, she visits her doctor (Nathan Fillion), and after a few appointments the two begin an unlikely love affair.

“Waitress” is a bittersweet, homey movie that will warm your heart and make your stomach growl. Go see it – but make sure you have a slice of pie waiting for you – trust me, you’ll need it.