Book Vs. Movie : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows | Teen Ink

Book Vs. Movie : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

By silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana
silence21 GOLD, Terre Haute, Indiana

I hope to change someones life one word at a time. Hopefully, it's a positive change and it's for the better, but any change at all is a step to an amazing new future.

Once again the Harry Potter franchise has swept the box office, but was it true to the book? In the seventh installment of the Harry Potter series, Harry, Ron and Hermione face the struggles of growing up and collecting all of the Horcruxes that Lord Voldemort has left scattered all over the world. Dealing with the emotional stress of losing many loved ones and having no inkling of where the Horcruxes are, the infamous trio must somehow move under Voldemort's radar and defeat him once and for all.

While it was a fantastic movie, both through acting and in sticking to the original storyline, there are some details that the director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves did not mention. For example, while some characters made a return to the movie such as the house elves Doby(Toby Jones)and Kreacher(Simon McBurney) , the curmudgeon Mad-eye Moody( Brendan Gleeson)and the absentminded Luna Lovegood(Evanna Lynch); the struggling werewolf Remus Lupin(David Thewlis)and his new wife who is always changing hair, Tonks(Natalia Tena); as well as Voldemort's crew of Bellatrix Lestrange(Helena Bonham Carter), Snape(Alan Rickman), and the Malfoy family. However, there are characters that have major roles in the book but not mentioned in the movie, such as another muggle-born Hogwarts student, Dean, who was running away; the Weasley family and the Burrow; Viktor Krum(Stanislav Ianvski)and the Order of the Phoenix.

There are new characters that both the director and screenwriter have incorporated well. New and well-intentioned Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour(Bill Nighy)tries to soothe the panicking wizarding world, but is ineffective in doing so. Bill Weasley(Dohmhall Gleeson)is the attractive eldest Weasley brother who, at the beginning of the movie, marries former Tri-Wizard Tournament competitor, Fleur Delacour(Clemence Posey). Xenophilius Lovegood, played by Rhys Ifans, is the eccentric grieving father of Luna Lovegood who is the editor of the zaney magazine Quibbler. Apparently there were new characters that the screenwriter deemed unimportant such as the faithful Death Eater Fenir Greyback, who in the book plays a pivatol role, but in the movie never says a word. They also failed to mention Tonks' parents Ted and Andromeda who later help Harry and his friends.

I must commend the movie for beginning with Voldemort's first kill of the movie, the Hogwarts professor who taught muggle studies. In that scene you see the familiar faces of Draco Malfoy(Tom Felton and Lucius Malfoy(Jason Isaacs), who they have made to look worn and considerably aged. In my opinion, the aging of the characters shows the ongoing battle between good and evil. They also managed to keep the death count accurate to the book, no one character that should have died was spared. What will you miss? Absolutely nothing! Every battle to the death scene made it, so both fans of the book and fans of the movie will enjoy.

I strongly suggest that if you are fan of the Harry Potter series and would like to swept up in the magic of friendship and perseverance, you should go see the final installment, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1. This movie will fill your heart with joy and sadness, and you'll leave the theatres wanting to know what happens next in this young heroes life.

Being in love with the books and staying with Harry to the end made me want to give an opinion.