Love and Basketball | Teen Ink

Love and Basketball

Every girl wants their husband/ boyfriend to be able to watch a “chick flick”, but the romantic emotion that fills the movie won’t connect with mens’ minds. Love and Basketball is a movie that couples can enjoy together. The movie shows how love can be entwined with both love and a sport men love. Love and Basketball is motivating, inspirational, and a loving movie which will make any woman or man think twice about love. This movie is based upon the quarters of a basketball game. The beginning is always nerve wracking and the end decides whether you win or lose.

From the playground to the pro leagues, Monica (Sanaa Lathan) and Quincy (Omar Epps) taught each other how to play the game. Now the commitment to the sport will force them to make a choice between each other and the game…between love and basketball. Monica grew up next to Quincy who was always a hot-shot-no-one-could-be-compared-to-him kind of person. After being told over and over again that basketball was a sport for boys, Monica never gave up and made it to the WMBA. She let all the criticism go in one ear and out the other, while trying to land good grades in school, plus play the only game she loves. While learning the game, Monica and Quincy find that without each other there’s no game to play. Both Monica and Quincy show motivation and inspiration. Monica give people hope to fight for whatever it is they want. She shows how when your face down in the ground, you can always get back on your feet and try again. Quincy inspires people to not be selfish and greedy. He proves that only caring about yourself won’t be you up, but simply further down.

Directed by, Gina Prince-Bythewood, this movie couldn’t have been done any better. When showing emotion, the director focuses the camera on exactly one person. She makes it to whenever Monica and Quincy are alone together it’s dark and quite to show the connection being bonded. Keep in mind that this movie revolves around a basketball game, so music presented in Love and Basketball is loud and makes your adrenalin rush through your body. When showing the determination each character has, Gina throws in quick cuts to make the watcher notice what’s happening and to make a thousand assumptions fill our minds.

Love and Basketball is my favorite movie. This movie has made my whole life change for the better. Monica and Quincy have shown me that love is no game, when you love someone or want something; you have to fight for it and never give up. I highly recommend this movie for teenagers and adults who can’t seem to find their inner self. I give this movie a 10+. Love and Basketball is an inspirational movie, which will change your life.