Blow | Teen Ink

Blow MAG

“So, in the end, was it worth it? … Throughout my lifetime, I’ve left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there’s almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.”

Thus George Jung describes his life in “Blow,” a movie ­depicting his story. The film creates impact by showing the audience how he is destined to fail.

Johnny Depp plays Jung, one of the major forces behind the rise of cocaine’s popularity in the ’70s and ’80s. He grows up in a struggling family where his mother constantly comes and goes because of the family’s money problems. George’s ­father works long nights and sacrifices his well-being to please her. This leads him to believe that wealth matters most in life and that without it, a person cannot be happy.

Jung moves to California with his best friend, Tuna (Ethan Suplee) where they find a drug epidemic. Deciding to take advantage of the situation, they become dealers and are ­instantly consumed by money. They form a partnership with Derek Foreal (Paul Reubens) which involves ­obtaining and transporting the drugs he sells. This leads Jung down a dark path.

Jung becomes trapped in a life of drugs and money. Always hoping for a second chance, he continually makes mistakes. The film shows how he ­becomes incredibly rich and ­famous, making his life seem perfect, but when he is busted, reality crashes down again.

Money poisons Jung’s sense of right and wrong, blinds him to reality, and drives him to achieve his dreams. He promised himself he would never be poor again, and by selling drugs, he becomes rich. In the end, however, the consequences of his actions outweigh the benefits.

Director Ted Demme intertwines the beginning and end of the movie with a technique that is eye-opening, ­ingenious, and clever.

One of the movie’s flaws is that it portrays Jung as a victim, which isn’t completely ­accurate. His actions and choices brought him the despair that he deserved.

Overall, I would give the movie two thumbs up, 10 out of 10 stars, and pick it as one of my favorites. The messages are so overwhelming and emotional that the film will leave you thinking for weeks.

truefreakonaleash SILVER, Columbus, Texas
This was an amazing movie, great cast and great message. Loved it and will forever be one of my favorite movies.