Anchorman | Teen Ink

Anchorman MAG

Have you ever watched a movie that is so stupid it’s funny? If you have seen “Dumb & Dumber,” you know what I’m talking about. “Anchorman,” starring Will Ferrell and Christina Applegate, is one of those movies. Though it got harsh reviews from critics (it was called “a stupid, silly, forgettable motion picture” “without a reason to exist”), box office results have been outstanding. In just its first three days, the film grossed $28 million, and overall, it has made more than $86 million. So why did critics give it such harsh reviews? They probably have no sense of humor.

What makes “Anchorman” such a hit is its laugh-out-loud one-liners that often make no sense - “I love lamp” or “Bark twice if you’re in Milwaukee” or “Is this Will Chamberlain?” or “Today was a bad choice for milk” or “Where did your clothes come from, the Toilet Store?” The list is practically endless. There are a lot of random scenes that make almost no sense, but overall they make it funnier.

What makes this different from a stupid movie like “Napoleon Dynamite” is that “Anchorman” actually has a plot: Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) is an anchorman in San Diego. He is what they call a god walking among mortals and the most popular guy in town until Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) comes along and sweeps his career right out from under him. She leaves him with no job, no money and no friends. But then she suddenly vanishes. Will that give Ron a chance to redeem himself and fulfill his goal of becoming a network anchor?

Anybody watching “Anchorman” needs to have a good sense of humor but I would give this movie an 11 on a scale of one to 10. It is funny, entertaining, and I believe it will be considered a classic in years to come. .

AlanWake BRONZE, Newberry , Florida

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde.

A classic indeed and an incredibly hilarious sequel to go along with it.

Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

I loved this movie. It was freaking hilarious. Did you know that there's going to be a sequel?

laura7006 said...
laura7006, Wilmington, Massachusetts
sorry, movie*

laura7006 said...
laura7006, Wilmington, Massachusetts
I'm really glad you wrote a positive review of anchorman! It's one of my favorite movies because it truthfully is hilarious! I'm also a girl so it's not a typical "guy humor only" type of move! Nice writing! :)