The 40-Year-Old Virgin | Teen Ink

The 40-Year-Old Virgin MAG

By Anonymous

     Every year there is a comedy that stands far above the rest, and this year it is “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” Director Judd Apatow does an excellent job, and keeps throwing jokes left and right.

Steve Carell plays Andy Stitzer, a shy, nerdy, little man who lives alone, works at a technology store, and is obsessed with old action figures. One day, his co-workers invite him to play poker and discover he is a virgin, and that is when the trouble begins. From that moment on, they make it their duty to change Andy’s status.

This funny, original movie has some outrageous sequences, but the chest-waxing mixes authenticity, and the sex clinic workshop touches on real insecurities even as it maintains a wildly comical tone.

Although this is a refreshingly good comedy, it isn’t toned down for the PG-13 audience. Apatow knows enough as a director to get out of the way of his actors, and he infuses the film with a wonderful retro quality through the vintage action figures, electronic gadgets, clever references, classic movie clips and musical touches. It is rather long for a comedy, which makes it good for the money. And if you think that the climax can’t possibly live up to the hype, you haven’t seen Apatow’s imagination and creativity in action.