Radio | Teen Ink

Radio

October 8, 2008
By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
26 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Radio, a true story of a mentally challenged man who goes by the name of Radio (played by Cuba Gooding Jr.), is an inspiring movie of friendship and overcoming obstacles. Set in a small town in South Carolina, Coach Jones (Ed Harris), a high school football coach, meets Radio. He starts looking after him and has Radio help out with the football team. Quickly they become friends and Radio begins an education at the high school. The principal of the high school though, doesn’t like the idea of Radio being at the school, especially after a student tricks Radio into going into the girls’ locker room. So Coach Jones, against most of the school, tries to convince them Radio is kind and has a big heart.

Along with the problem with Radio, Coach Jones isn’t spending enough time with his daughter Mary, (Sarah Drew) or wife Linda (Debra Winger). So in this inspirational movie of friendship and challenges, Coach Jones and Radio try to overcome many conflicts ahead of them.

I think Radio was a fast paced, mood swinging, and humorous film that was touching at the same time. At times the movie would be funny and joyful, and then turn sad and cold. I think this keeps the movie moving and has you wondering what will happen next. I would give it two and a half stars out of four, and assure you that the movie will inspire you and touch your heart.