Blow | Teen Ink

Blow MAG

I'll be blunt - you don't end this movie with a warmfuzzy feeling. "Blow" is the true story of George Jung, the world'sleading cocaine dealer during the '70s and early '80s. And, as with real life,"Blow" doesn't have a storybook ending.

The movie begins withJung (Johnny Depp) growing up in a Massachusetts suburb, then fast-forwards tenyears to Venice Beach, where Jung and his friend Tuna meet Derek Formal (PaulReubens), the local pot supplier. Jung transforms his small-time pot peddlinginto a coast-to-coast marijuana ring. He is eventually caught, skips bail, getsratted out by his mom, and ends up in jail. While in jail Jung does anything butclean up his act. His cell mate has connections to Colombian cocaine cartels andmakes plans for when they get out.

Jung becomes the exclusive distributorfor the world's largest cocaine dealer, ends up with millions of dollars, andmarries a foul-mouthed cokehead (Penelope Cruz). Retirement doesn't suit him atall, and he gets arrested twice more. Out of jail again, Jung finds that themillions he had are gone. With no money and a daughter to support, what does hedo? Get a job like a normal person? No, Jung decides to import coke one lasttime. And that is his mistake.

All in all, "Blow" is veryinteresting, and I won't be surprised if the movie and Depp both get Oscarnominations. I recommend seeing this movie, though not on a firstdate.