Frozen 2013 | Teen Ink

Frozen 2013

December 23, 2013
By RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other
RoseLouisa PLATINUM, Yishun, Other
22 articles 6 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Juliet had it easy; she never had to kill Romeo.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“Life, unfortunately, doesn't seem to care what we want.”
― Richelle Mead, Last Sacrifice

“I like him."
"Like or like?
"Oh, there's a difference?”
― Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy


Frozen is a heartwarming film that illustrated sisterly love between Elsa and Anna. The first half of the movie showed how it all started. With the beautiful visual effects, indulgent scenes and stocked with sing-along songs, Frozen added another worthy entry to the Disney canon. It is not an unevenly paced film, but was appropriately modified to fit into the sprawl of themes. The second half lingered into a generic cat and mouse chase and the ending left much to be desired. The songs were very well performed and were apt for the story. With a little twist at the ending, the emotion at the start of the show and the sweetness at the end blended in remarkably well. Frozen is a throwback to Classic Disney hits. The film was both heartwarming and enchanting; Frozen was a visually stunning masterpiece with a majestic soundtrack that rounded off this stellar film. It highlighted the rewards of perseverance, the bonds of family and the power of true love. And thus is a terrific bit of family entertainment with family values portrayed.

Frozen tells a story of two sisters, Elsa and Anna. Elsa possessed cryokinetic powers. The royal family locked themselves away in their castle in order to protect Elsa and keep her powers top secret. Elsa, who was being hidden from people for their safety, spends most of her time hiding in her room. This thus created a rift between the two sisters. Three years after their parents died, the castle gates were once again open to public for Elsa’s coronation. Anna accepted Hans’s proposal hastily after they just met. Elsa, however, refuses to grant her blessing on the marriage, setting off an argument between the sisters, which culminates in Elsa's abilities being exposed to the guests. Elsa stormed up into the mountains, unintentionally, trapping the kingdom in eternal winter. This left ice castles and snow blizzards in her wake. Now Anna has to team up with Kristoff, and find her sister in order to free the kingdom from this icy spell.

The character Elsa demonstrated love towards her sister and the people of Arendelle. In order not to hurt anyone, she would rather hide herself her room. She had done her best to conceal her powers and not let it overwhelm her. Afraid that she would hurt people after her powers were exposed, she ran away far from the kingdom, so that she would not accidentally hurt anyone. Also, she did not trap the kingdom in eternal winter and hurt Anna intentionally. This showed that Elsa puts people’s wellbeing at the top priority and is not selfish. In the end, her love for Anna saved Anna’s life. It showed that despite the rift between the sisters, Elsa treasured the happy times they shared when they were young and still loved her sister despite everything that happened. The only foible of this character is that she was afraid to stand up against this curse and learn to control it within her; instead she spent her childhood hiding in her room in fear.

The character Anna demonstrated bravery and love for her sister. She was very brave to go and look for her sister despite the menacing weather, and Elsa still not capable of controlling her powers. She did not care about the danger she might have put herself in, she just wanted to get her sister back and stop the winter that threaten to wipe out the kingdom. Anna loved her sister although she was being shut out by her for years, not knowing that it was for her safety. She felt disappointed and worried for Elsa during those times. Despite everything, her empty childhood as Elsa avoided her all the time, she still loved Elsa and went after her, determined that since she understood, they could solve this crisis together. She did not blame Elsa for shutting her out all those times. At the last critical moment, she had to choose between saving her sister or herself. She chose to sacrifice herself for Elsa’s life. Thus she froze into ice. Anna also had a very saccharine personality, which the audience would love.
Another memorable character was Olaf, a snowman built by Elsa. He was very energetic, humorous and not too cloying. Creating humor along the way that lightened up the atmosphere, and ensured children watching would not get bored due to the lengthy story line. The jokes are suitable, not lame and not too over the top or too melodramatic. Olaf’s past also embodied the past relationship of the sister’s before Elsa started shutting Anna out. Thus he was not an irrelevant character that appeared out of nowhere.

In conclusion, Frozen was a great snowy pleasure with an emotionally gripping core that is not maudlin, and brilliant Broadway-style songs packed together with a crafty plot of nifty twists and surprises. Frozen was definitely a Disney Classic that ranks with, and beyond, its Disney Renaissance predecessors. A definitely must watch film. On a scale from one to ten, it would break the scale definitely.