To Kill a Mockingbird | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird

By Emerlees BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Emerlees BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

"Live your dream. Unless your dream is stupid. Then get a new dream."

The film, “To Kill a Mockingbird” has been a classic piece of American Film history, winning 3 oscars, and making the 34 spot on AFI’s list of America’s Greatest Movies, and for good reasons too. It’s charming, well-written and the acting is spot-on. Portraying a classic piece of American Literature as a movie is a daring undertaking, and the film staff portrayed the book in a perfect way.

“To Kill a Mockingbird’s” story follows the young tomboy, Scout, as she grows up in Southern Alabama during the early 1930’s, when the African-American community was still discriminated against. The major plot-line develops when Scout’s father, Atticus, decides to defend an African-American in court. This decision derives controversy throughout the town, leading to Scout discovering the culture of her city and learning about the citizens that live there.

Now, this movie definitely shouldn’t be used for a book report or watching the movie instead of reading the book. Major plot-lines from the book are missing in the movie, but this lack of plots does not affect the overall film in a negative way. Writing scripts and plotlines for a movie is a major difference from writing a book, so an audience can only expect the movie to be different from the book.

This movie beautifully represents the drama and immoral nature of society in the 1930’s, where an innocent black man is convicted of a crime he did not commit just because he is an African-American. This conviction has been an unforgettable moment in literature and film history. I believe that this scene, where there isn’t a happy ending, is what makes “To Kill a Mockingbird” what it is and what makes “To Kill a Mockingbird” a timeless classic.

“To Kill a Mockingbird” is a certain classic in American Film and Literature History. The amazing portrayal of the book, the brilliant acting, and the pacing and execution make “To Kill a Mockingbird” what it is and what we know today in society. This film will always be a favorite in American Culture.