The Silence of the Lambs | Teen Ink

The Silence of the Lambs

February 20, 2014
By Easton071 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Easton071 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Find an excuse to win


The Silence of the Lambs

The movie “The Silence of the Lambs”, directed by Jonathan Demme, and starring Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling, Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal, and Ted Levine as “Buffalo Bill”, is a horror, thriller story of the serial killer Buffalo Bill, and Starling trying to capture him with the help of Hannibal Lecter.

Clarice Starling is given the task of interviewing Hannibal Lecter a former psychiatrist, and cannibalistic serial killer. He has information for their pursuit of Buffalo Bill, a serial killer who skins his female victims’ corpses. She travels to an insane asylum to talk to Lecter. He gives her information about an old patient of his, but when she goes to look for him all she finds is a shed with a severed head that is linked with Buffalo Bill.

Buffalo Bill kidnaps a U.S. Senators daughter, Catherine Martin, and Starling offers Lecter a fake deal, a transfer to a prison, in return for information on where Buffalo Bill has the girl. Lecter agrees to a different deal from someone else and is flown to Memphis, Tennessee where he releases information about buffalo Bill to federal agents. Starling goes to try to talk to Lecter again but is unsuccessful, and is escorted out by the man Lecter previously made a deal with. Later, Lecter kills his guards and escapes from his cell.

Starling gets information on Buffalo Bill, and figures out that he knew his first victim personally. She travels to the victims hometown and finds out that Buffalo Bill was a tailor, and had dresses and patches of clothing just like the skin of his victims. She then goes to the house of Jame Gumb (Buffalo Bill). He says he is Jack Gordon, but Starling pursues inward and finds that Catherine is still alive in a dry well in the basement. Gumb shuts the light off and goes after Starling while wearing night vision goggles. He cocks his revolver to shoot, but Starling reacts and turns and shoots him dead. Days after Starling received a call from Lecter, who is at an airport in Bimini. He says he will not pursue her but would like her to return the favor to him, which she says she can not do. He hangs up the phone saying “I’m having an old friend for dinner”. Then follows Chilton, the man who he made the deal with, and disappears into the crowd.

This film won academy awards for: best director, best actor and actress in a leading role, best picture, and best sound. This film will keep you on the edge of your seat, and it will keep you wondering what’s next.


The author's comments:
It includes details of the cast and director and the overrall plot of the movie.