Saving Mr. Banks | Teen Ink

Saving Mr. Banks

By BrittyMS DIAMOND, Fort Wayne, Indiana
BrittyMS DIAMOND, Fort Wayne, Indiana

"Every time I make a plan, God laughs at me." - Jason Issacs

I wanted to see Saving Mr. Banks because I was one of those children who was raised on Disney movies.

And not the DCOM movies they show on the Disney Channel today, but the real Disney films, like Bambie, and Sleeping Beauty, and, yes, Mary Poppins. So when I heard about a film about the woman who gave Mary Poppins life, I felt like I owed it to my childhood. After all, I had it chalked up for a feel-good movie about the creation of one of Disney's most classic adaptions. The previews looked so happy! Well, dammit, I was wrong.

Don't misunderstand, the film was great. Excellent acting all around, Tom Hanks really makes a great Walt Disney. I loved the contrast between his child-like, cheery attitude and Emma Thompson's P.L. Travers' prim and proper stature.

What really made the film for me was the flashbacks. They fit seamlessly in and not only helped to move the story along, but also added even more depth the P.L. Travers. When I realized what was going on with her family and her background, and then drew the connections to the Mary Poppins books, my eyes turned into waterfalls on my face. And just when the emotions started to subside and there was hope that I could watch the movie in peace, she would have another flashback, and we would see how it affected her even then, so many years later, and I just couldn't handle the feels.

The film is very heartfelt, and while there has been much controversy over Mrs. Travers' reaction to the Mary Poppins film as depicted in the movie and in real life, it is a film that I would watch again and again. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes biopics or Disney.