Hangover Part III | Teen Ink

Hangover Part III

Hangover Part III is a 2013 comedy film that is directed by Todd Phillips, and is the final film in the Hangover trilogy. The main characters of this film are Ed Helms, Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, and Justin Bartha. This film is about the “Wolfpack” (Alan, Phil, Stu, and Doug) and how they try to help Alan with his personal and social issues. However, the clan’s plan to help Alan goes downhill when an incident that occurred in the first film comes back and hurts them. The wolfpack is then forced to search for Mr. Chow after Doug is kidnapped by a criminal group that is seeking to obtain the stolen $21 million that Chow stole from them in the original thrilling journey. There are various songs that are featured from the film, most of which are modern and trademarked songs such as “I Believe I Can Fly” and “Dark Fantasy.” Artists include Billy Joel, Kanye West, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar. The events of the film take place in Orange County, California; Tijuana Mexico; and Las Vegas, Nevada. This film was released in May 2013 and made over $360 million in the box office. I watched this film because of my love for comedy and because I am extremely fond of the first two Hangover films.

Through this film, I sought to answer the questions about how this film relates to other comedic films of the time, as well as how it compares to the first two hangover films. This film compares extremely well to other films in the comedy genre, as evident by its huge splash at the Box office. We are seeing less “comedy” films lately and this film helps bring out what comedy is all about. I also felt that this film was the second best Hangover film in the trilogy and it really captured my attention. What I already knew about the film’s director Todd Phillips is that a he is a phenomenal director trademarked for his ultra-comedic films. He created the successful Hangover franchise and has encompassed various humorous, yet realistic elements and camera shots that make the audience feel connected to the film. I also knew that all of the actors who play the “Wolfpack” are known for being extremely comical. This knowledge greatly raised my expectations of the film and how it contributed to being an extremely comical yet engaging film.

I could pinpoint many of the best elements in the film. I enjoyed the throw-back nature of the film of how it went back to Las Vegas where the film first started. This is also seen in how Baby Carlos comes back in the film as well as how Jude is also seen as a helping hand in the film. I also enjoyed the party element of the film which created the very inducing nature of the film. I also enjoyed how I was always being captivated by the thrilling and suspenseful nature of the film in trying to find Chow and wondering whether Doug would be killed or not. I also enjoyed the smoothness of the film in how it tied up all of the events in the film, from the kidnapping to the rescue, all in a neat fashion. I especially enjoyed the comedic element of the film which made the film outrageously enjoyable. Nearly every scene employed a comedic element in it and it was further emphasized by the humor of Zach Galifianakis. The outrageous lines said by Zach Galifianakis and Ken Joeng really made the film all more comical. I also enjoyed how there was more of a plot substance than in the previous film, creating a more captivating storyline. This film encompassed the perfect balance of comedy and sinister. I enjoyed the unique and abstract darker element of the film which made it all more enjoyable. The film was so different from the first two films in how it was the most unpredictable and one of the most anarchic comedies that has come out in years. It was twisted and contained violence that helped reinvent itself as a crime thriller.

I would evaluate the acting, script-writing style, and music quality to be fairly good for the film in this genre. I felt that the actors played a great job in their character roles, and I felt as if their characters were really real. I felt that the acting was up to par with the previous Hangover films which added to the comedic theme of the film. The acting was very engaging and I did not lose interest throughout the course of the film. It felt very good to see the relationship dynamic between the “Wolfpack” for the last time, as well as to see Alan finally get a girl. I also enjoyed the provocative writing style of the film. The script was full of many humorous jokes, phrases, and some expletives. This helped make the film enjoyable for the modern audience, in particular: me. The musical soundtrack of the film was extremely well-chosen. The songs were from famous artists of the 21st century that I heavily admire, such as Kanye West. The music flowed well with the movie and was not a hindrance, but rather was an additional serving that made the film all that better. Overall, this film had very good acting, screenplay, and soundtrack.

Even though this film was extremely fun to watch, there were, however, some critiques of the film. I felt that this film was more of a thriller than a comedy. There were certain parts that emphasized a more mysterious element than the prevalent comedic theme. There were also some issues concerning the structure of the film. This film implemented a backward structure than the previous Hangover installments, which created an abstract narrative of the film. I also did not like how there were no cameos in the films. There were no tigers or guest-star celebrities unlike the previous Hangover films. Even though the plot itself was riveting, I was not all that fond of how the storyline was not fresh. It was a similar plot of the first movie where Doug got kidnapped. Thus exemplifies the critiques that I had with the film.

Overall, The Hangover Part III was a great fun film to watch. I enjoyed watching it and it was definitely better than its predecessor, The Hangover Part II. This is a film that should be watched in Blue-ray DVD if you are a fan of proactive-dirty comedy like me. I feel that this film has an intended audience of teenagers and young adults who are part of the current liberal culture, along with elder adults who are looking for a more “unorthodox” laugh. I feel that all lovers of comedy should watch this film, as I personally believe that it is one of the best comedy films to come out in the recent years. This film won two awards for Best Comedy at the Golden Trail Awards along with having the best location professional of the year at the California Location Awards. The film was also nominated for the Hollywood Movie Award at the Hollywood Film Festival. Viewers who wish to learn more about this film should consult the “IMDB” and “Rotten Tomatoes” websites for more information.