Heathers | Teen Ink

Heathers

November 5, 2014
By asunaisbae BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
asunaisbae BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Best friends, social trends and occasional murder.” Although made in the 80s, Heathers outshines most modern day films in the teen movie genre. This cult classic stars Winona Ryder as popular girl Veronica Sawyer. Tired of her socialite friends and their cruel jokes, Veronica is charmed by the rebel J.D., portrayed by Christian Slater. Tricked into murdering her “best friend”, Veronica goes down the long road of morality. As she would say, “I guess I picked the wrong time to be a human being.”


The thing that really makes this movie what it is are the characters. Heather Chandler is young, mean and rich.. Heather Duke would be the very rare brainy popular girl in high school movies. The last of all the Heathers would be Heather McNamara, a dense head cheerleader. Veronica doesn’t like any of them, being a nicer and smarter human being than all of the Heathers. J.D. has some psychological problems that come from his father raising him, that need to be fixed.


Overall, I would rate this movie a 4 out of 5 stars. for a great plot and fantastic characters. But the language was a little colorful. Heathers could’ve still been a great movie without so many cuss words. 80s movie Heathers would definitely be recommended by me any day of the week.