Ariana Grande top three hits review | Teen Ink

Ariana Grande top three hits review

By BreeRobinson BRONZE, Stanton, Minnesota
BreeRobinson BRONZE, Stanton, Minnesota

Ariana Grande had a roller coaster of a year. So many things went on and so many good songs were released. So I’m going to be reviewing Ariana Grande’s top three hits of 2018. Being in the new year I’m excited about more music and I’m hoping it’s as good as the previous ones. Her three top hits were “No Tears Left to Cry”, “God is a Woman”, and “Thank U, Next”.

So to start off is “No Tears Left to Cry”. This one was third out of the three. It was a very happy and uplifting song even though it has words like tears and cry. She is just sick of crying and all of the pain so she just wants to send out some positive vibes. In the song, she also talks about her state of mind, and how she wants to be like that all of the time. Some lyrics from that song is “I’m loving, I’m living, I’m picking it up” and I think that this lyric describes her lifestyle at the time and how she was feeling really well and the word choice is very good. She was dating Mac Miller at the time and people believe that they could have possibly been going through some tough times. Which is why her next song is about women being fully capable of handling things themselves. So her next song is her second top hit “God is a Woman”.

“God is a Woman” is a very empowering song to all girls and women. Both this one and “No Tears Left to Cry” talk about how she needs a man in her life and how they make her feel better. It is believed that she wrote this song about Pete Davidson. Of course, nobody knows for sure without asking Ariana herself, but there is some key evidence that it is about him. Pete is also the guy that she almost got married to. In this song, she says “ So baby, take my hand, Save your soul.” Again she’s talking about a guy and how she can save him rather than him trying to save her like most people would assume because he’s the guy in the relationship. This next one is going to be saying that she doesn’t need guys as much as she thought. So Now onto her biggest hit in 2018. Which is by far my favorite song out of all of hers and is put together very well, Thank U, next.

Thank U, Next is such a good song. It is strong and shows how she can be an independent woman that doesn't need a man. Which shows her progress throughout the year, because in the first two songs it said that she needed/ wanted a man, but in this one, she is accepting that she doesn’t anymore. The guys in her song that changed her life were: Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson, and Mac Miller. They are all of her exes. In this song, she says “Wish I could say thank you to Malcolm, cause he was an angel.” This was said because Malcolm, or Mac Miller, had died in 2018 due to an overdose and he still liked Ariana when he died and he left this world thinking that she was marrying another guy, but she didn’t end up marrying him. His death is what people believed had broken up the engagement This relationship song isn’t like most others. Most other love songs talk about how a guy broke a girls heart or how it didn't work out and they hate each other, but that's not this one.  In this one, she is saying what she learned from them and what she got out of them and how they made her a better person. She also says that she is grateful for her exes even though things didn’t work out. She wouldn’t be the person she is today without all of them. And she wouldn't know what she would have done without them. There is also a line from her song that states “ One day I’ll walk down the aisle, holding hands with my mama. I’ll be thanking my dad, Cause she grew from the drama.” This is a really important line from her song. Ariana Grande’s dad left them at a young age. So instead of walking down the aisle with her dad, she’s going to do it with her mom. Also showing that Ariana isn’t the only strong one in her family. All of these songs have such a positive/good message behind them.

All of these songs show Ariana Grande’s personality so well, and how strong she can be. It was very interesting seeing her journey throughout the year through music. Ariana Grande had a roller coaster of a year. She had some ups, some downs, some very very lows, and some highs. In the end, everything will just make her stronger and a better person overall. I would highly recommend listening to these songs.